PDA

View Full Version : correct way to wash waffle weave mf towels?

Pages : [1] 2

09-29-2006, 10:30 AM
sorry, if this is a repost. i searched and couldnt find anything.

my waffleweave towels are getting harder in texture after more and more washings with them. i dont use fabric softener to dry either.

what is the proper way to wash ur waffleweave towels and dry them?

joyriiide1113
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Most water used to wash in the machine is not hard, but is not soft water either. After a while the hardness of it takes its toll on fabrics. Add vinegar to the mix and your towels should come out a lot softer.

Use really hot water to wash the MF`s and add the vinegar to the rinse cycle. Dry in low low heat.

Eliot Ness
09-29-2006, 06:58 PM
This info comes from member DFTowel:

"- Keep your detailing fabrics clean from the start by always using hot water and liquid detergent (half what the manufacturer recommends)

- Use white vinegar in the rinse cycle only to remove excess detergent. Using it in the wash cycle will actually degrade the detergents effectiveness. Use about a tablespoon or two per towel.

- Dry on low for polyester towels, on high heat for cotton."

Personally I like to use Micro-Restore (http://www.autogeek.net/micro-restore-.html), a detergent made for MF`s.

atticdog
09-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I wash in the washer with tide and hang dry them

BMWWW
09-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Are staticy MF`s preferred, or non-staticy ones?

Out of the dryer, my MF`s come out extremely staticy- Good for dusting the interior, does static have any negative consequences? Any pro`s out of having non-staticy MF`s?

Eliot Ness
09-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Are staticy MF`s preferred, or non-staticy ones?

Out of the dryer, my MF`s come out extremely staticy- Good for dusting the interior, does static have any negative consequences? Any pro`s out of having non-staticy MF`s?I don`t think that is a problem, except they tend to stick together and are a little harder to fold. I take mine out while they are still just a tad damp to eliminate that "static cling".

usdm
09-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys!

Just to add, it is better to use liquid detergents versus powders. This is also

one time that using dishwashing liquid is ok to use (in moderation, of course)

when cleaning towels with grease or wax buildup. I also try to keep specific type

towels seperate during the wash; waffle weaves with waffle weaves, Plush with

plush, etc.

Another cool ideea is to toss in one or two plastic whiffle balls; either golf or

baseball type wiffles work quite well to improve cleaning and distrubition of

detergent throughout the wash cycles. This worke well with top-loading machines

as well as front-load machines.

09-30-2006, 10:49 AM
doesnt hot water hurt waffle weave mf towels?

mbkintner
09-30-2006, 12:26 PM
....I also try to keep specific type

towels seperate during the wash; waffle weaves with waffle weaves, Plush with

plush, etc......

That`s a new one on me. What exactly is the reason for doing this?

Mike

Accumulator
09-30-2006, 12:28 PM
doesnt hot water hurt waffle weave mf towels?

No. I have my garage water heater turned up pretty high, and I wash mine on "hot" every time. No problems at all after years of this.

usdm
09-30-2006, 01:27 PM
That`s a new one on me. What exactly is the reason for doing this?

Mike

With top-load machines, I had no problem with just putting all the towels together,

since water offered a degree of suspension during the wash. So even though the friction

helped with the wash process, the towels were not rubbing too hard against one

another. Now that we have a front load machine, I sometimes found that things got a

lil knarly; primarily with the waffle weaves. So I began to toss in a wiffle ball, and

that seemed to help, and then I just began to segregate the types of towels I use.

None of this is scientific of course, this is just my odd way of doing things.

Accumulator
09-30-2006, 02:29 PM
With top-load machines, I had no problem with just putting all the towels together, since water offered a degree of suspension during the wash. .. Now that we have a front load machine, I sometimes found that things got a lil knarly... So I began to toss in a wiffle ball, and that seemed to help...

Maybe I`ll try that in our household washer...it`s one of those Sears "Calypso" ones that a) twists up the textiles being washed and b) basically does a crappy job :( It`s so lousy that sometimes we take the "good" household laundry out to the garage and wash it in the old, direct-drive washing machine I have for the car towels!

velobard
10-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I`ve been surprised how much difference the washing machine can make in how clean the laundry gets. After I got rid of my old Kenmore top-load, I did some research and bought a Fisher-Paykel washer about 5 years ago. It uses less water, I can get away with even using half the detergent if I want, but the clothes come out cleaner than any other machine I`ve used. This thing only has 6 moving parts. Instead of using a transmission to agitate the laundry, it has a 12VDC motor that reverses polarity to change tub direction. I don`t remember the whole explaination, but part of the reason it`s able to wash better is that it has an additional wash cycle that simulates a front-load machine. Like some other nicer machines, it spin dries at 1000 rpm so things take less time in the drier. And Fisher Paykel has an excellent reliability record. My wife is pushing for me to buy one of their cool top-load dryers, but for now the one we have works well enough that a new one is down the priority list. Fisher Paykel is a lot easier to find for sale now than when I bought mine, I`ve even seen it at Lowes. I could go on about other cool features on this machine, but suffice it to say I never thought I`d find myself excited about a washing machine, lol. :o

abbeysdad
10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
sorry, if this is a repost. i searched and couldnt find anything.

my waffleweave towels are getting harder in texture after more and more washings with them. i dont use fabric softener to dry either.

what is the proper way to wash ur waffleweave towels and dry them?

It`s my understanding that a big reason that we use fabric softeners is because detergents don`t easily rinse out and the softners aid in getting it out. If you follow recommendations NOT to use fabric softeners for your towels, the stiffness may be risidual detergent.

You might pick a different detergent (I`m experimenting with the Oxi-Clean ball as Oxi clean claims to rinse cleaner and not require softeners) and/or use white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Setec Astronomy
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
It`s my understanding that a big reason that we use fabric softeners is because detergents don`t easily rinse out and the softners aid in getting it out. If you follow recommendations NOT to use fabric softeners for your towels, the stiffness may be risidual detergent.

This is absolutely contrary to info that has been previously posted by laundry "experts" and ChemE types. Please research before posting things like this that will confuse other members.

To quote DFTowel from another thread:

"With all the discussion on this site and others on this subject it should be clear: DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER... PERIOD!

Fabric softener in any form (in detergent, rinse additive, dryer sheets) deposits silicone on the fabric to make it appear softer to the touch but reduce absorbency."