PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Temp Levelers vs. 3M PI-III

Accumulator
09-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I really like the H-T EC and I`m about to order some OCP to mix with it (as opposed to the 1Z Ultra I used last time). Since I`m ordering from TOL anyhow... :o

I know some H-T users have also used 3M`s PI-III RC 05933, so:

How does the H-T HC compare with PI=III RC 05933? I`ve stockpiled a lot of the 05933 and I know/like the product. I don`t mind that it doesn`t finish out 100%. So if I`m gonna do a final polish anyhow, would I benefit from the H-T HC? How does its corrective ability compare with the 05933?

If I had to take a wild guess I`d say expect the H-T HC does more correction than the 05933, which I`d expect to me more like H-T Medium Cut. IIRC, the H-T Lite Cut (haven`t used it since forever) was kinda in-between the PI-III RC and MG.

Note that I`m not interested in trying a new product just to see how well it works, if there`s no point in replacing PI-III RC with H-T HC I`d rather just save the money. Finding something similar to, but better than, the 05933 will just leave me with a scad of unused 05933.

EBPcivicsi
09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Here`s my .02, and as always, I yield to your opinion....

IMO, the HC is a tad bit better at removing defects, and does finish better. Via PC/cyclo there is a bit of micromarring on softer paint, much less on "regular" paint. Either way, I know you will use a final polish. By rotary, the finish left by HC is unbelievable considering its ability to remove defects.

I find the HC a bit easier to use, less finicky in terms of removal (at various stages of break down). I am not sure why, but when I use the PI-III line, it`s either *very* easy to use, or I get "caking." All of this could be attributed to user error.

Hope this helps.

Accumulator
09-28-2006, 06:27 PM
ebpcivicsi- Thanks for your input, I had you in mind when I posted the Q.

Sounds like the HC might be something I can live without given the specifics of my situation. If I didn`t have all the 05933, well, that`d be different.

EBPcivicsi
09-28-2006, 07:20 PM
ebpcivicsi- Thanks for your input, I had you in mind when I posted the Q.

Sounds like the HC might be something I can live without given the specifics of my situation. If I didn`t have all the 05933, well, that`d be different.

Yeah, I keep both around because I run into various "different" paint from time to time. :D

I will be interested to see if you don`t go ahead and "accumulate" the HT just for grins and giggles. ;)

Accumulator
09-29-2006, 11:28 AM
I will be interested to see if you don`t go ahead and "accumulate" the HT just for grins and giggles. ;)

Heh heh, yeah...wouldn`t be a big surprise, huh? :o

I could always find a use/home for the PI-III stuff...it`s just *so* user-friendly for what it is. For newbies it`s really great stuff (caking aside, and yeah, sometimes that happens for me too :nixweiss ).

TortoiseAWD
09-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Accumulator,

Let me know if you`d like a sample of HT HC to give it a try. I have a brand new quart; I`d be happy to part with 8 oz. or so. PM me if you`re interested.

Tort

salty
09-30-2006, 04:50 AM
I would agree with ebpcivicsi.

Being an old 3M user, it is a step up. I haven`t tried the new 3M`s though.

I was amazed at the cut and finishing of HT-EC. Mixing it with OP controls the cut and dusting, which was a problem for me with the 3M (rotary).

I will give one example of HT-EC mixed OP 50/50. Today i wet sanded about 20 small scratches on a silver Trailblazer with 2000 grit. With one or two passes with compound foam, marks were gone and almost LSP. OP with polish pad finished the job.

Accumulator give it a try.

Accumulator
09-30-2006, 11:40 AM
TortoiseAWD- Thanks for that offer, you might be hearing from me :D

Salty- Yeah, the EC works well, well enough that I`m wondering about their HC too. I used the EC (both straight and mixed with 1z Ultra) on my new beater-Blazer and it really impressed me.

The new 3M stuff is, IMO a step backwards compared to the PI-III line. After a brief experiment with PI-3000 stuff I put it away and stockpiled PI-III RC and MG.

salty
09-30-2006, 01:50 PM
The new 3M stuff is, IMO a step backwards compared to the PI-III line. After a brief experiment with PI-3000 stuff I put it away and stockpiled PI-III RC and MG.

Good to know.