PDA

View Full Version : Optimum or Menzerna ?

Pages : [1] 2

ashsarna
09-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Which one should I get for use with my DA polisher? I right now use PB SSR and want a switch.

Both OPT and Menzerna have great reviews and there pluses and minuses (Menzerna tricky in sunlight).

Can I use either OHC or Power Gloss with a DA/pc? which would be easier.

I already have intensive polish by the way, but have not had a chance to try it out as yet. I was leaning towards the Menzerna line but keep reading about the ease and great results of Optimum. Unfortunately I can not get both (wife you know :o ). The cars I will be taking care of all seem to have harder clearcoats. Thanks.

johnhoefer
09-28-2006, 06:39 AM
I would say get the Blackfire Finishing Polish for SRC. It is the exact same as Menzurnas 106ff, but it has oils in it to keep down the dusting and give it a longer working time. It shines the car to a mirror too. Otherwise, get Menzurna all the way. Optimum is good, just not as good.

imported_Dave KG
09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
I have not personally used OHC by PC, but Power Gloss can certainly be used by PC - I find it best used on a 4" cutting pad with regular spritzes of QD to keep to polish alive and the dust down...

As for the Blackfire, I personally find the lube content of the Menzerna cerami-clears (PO85RD3.0x, PO106FF...) to be perfect for both rotary and PC and am unsure whether I would like any more lube in it to be honest, especailly on the rotary. The standard Menzerna polishes (PO91L, S34A) do dust a lot, so plenty of spritzes of QD throughout your sets to keep the dust at bay... :)

WX51 TXR
09-28-2006, 08:13 AM
I`ve used everything in the Optimum line up (Polish, Compound, Hyper Compound), everything in the Menzerna USA line up (PG, IP, FPII), and the Blackfire SRC twins (Compound and Finishing Polish), and out of the lot I`ve ditched the Optimum products (results just didn`t compare with either Menzerna or Blackfire), stick to Menzerna USA on softer japanese paints and use the SRC twins on pretty much everything else. They are, in my opinion, perfectly lubricated and a joy to use. :)

BobD
09-28-2006, 08:32 AM
I have been suggesting that people try a flat DA pad and Four Star`s Body Shop Line. They are great polishes and I am sure people will be happy with using them.

TigerMike
09-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Both are great polish lines and will get the job done.

However, I believe Menzerna are the higher quality abrasives. Optimum will leave a great finish, but Menz will leave perfection, in most cases. So, do you want a great finish or do you want a nearly perfect almost show-car like finish (at a higher cost). That`s up to you. I personally do not need an absolutely perfect finish for a daily driver, but for a garage queen or similar situation, I could easily justify going solely with Menz.

Regards,

Mike

AL-53
09-28-2006, 09:16 AM
I tried the OPT products...and not bad..but the Menzerna is a step above...really brings the paint to another level....sorta like a mirror finish...

I got a sample of the new 3M SRC polish from a body shop a while back. I just tried it out on a Black 06 Ford Harley edition truck...I have to say it does a great job..very close to the 106FF in final results...I used a PC do polish the truck..I believe if I had used the Hitachi it would of done way better..A real nice polish for 30.00 a quart...a real nice alternative to 106FF...

AL

Envious Eric
09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
keep in mind that menzerna is almost double the price too....ok maybe like 75% more, so for your car alone menzerna may be ideal, but for soing lots of cars for peopel who cant tell, or dont want to pay a premium, its not cost effective

ashsarna
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. It seems like I was on the right track with Menzerna. I was concerned with the short work time (Dave KG good point with misting the pad - I actually have been doing that regardless with the PB stuff) and working it in the sun (I do have a garage though). I think I will go with them and get the FP II, PG and the Blackfire SRC (thanks for mentioning about this product guys. I continuously hear great things and much cheaper than 106ff). Al, will keep in mind the 3M SRC as I get it locally.

Thanks again :2thumbs: .

Rafa
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I have the same question as you. I have a PC, is it the same as a DA ? or is there a difference ? (I think not for what I have read)

Anyways, I`m still debating between both brands, but inclined to Menzernas. I haven`t descided yet because I need a heavy cut polisher (or compound) ussable by PC. I`ve read good thing about HTEC/OP combo, but still don`t know if the PC can breakdown PG

Thomas Dekany
09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I do admit that menzerna has a visually better looking finish, but for me all the dusting makes me want to throw out the rest. And of course being mobile, they suck in the sun.

FYI, the optimum line is being tweeked and the new OP is very different from the original. Cant wait for the new OHC. m2c

wannafbody
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I do admit that menzerna has a visually better looking finish, but for me all the dusting makes me want to throw out the rest. And of course being mobile, they suck in the sun.

FYI, the optimum line is being tweeked and the new OP is very different from the original. Cant wait for the new OHC. m2c

maybe mixing optimum and menzerna would be a best of both worlds situation

Thomas Dekany
09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
maybe mixing optimum and menzerna would be a best of both worlds situation

With all that dusting/staining that I get I am not going anyewhere near menzerna

ashsarna
09-28-2006, 03:59 PM
With all that dusting/staining that I get I am not going anyewhere near menzerna

Sorry for the newbie question but what does it stain? trims?

Thomas Dekany
09-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Sorry for the newbie question but what does it stain? trims?

yes anything - rubber trims plastic you name it. If I don`t get it off right away or miss it, it is there for good (almost)