PDA

View Full Version : when did you get hooked in cleaning your car

Pages : [1] 2

fordraceing_man
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
just like the title says, what got you hooked on having a spotless car and how long have you been doing it?

BMWWW
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
This forum did it for me. From the ripe age of 12, I was washing my family`s cars (The mini-swirl-o-matic). It`s always been thereputic for me, even at a young age.

Now I`m 17, doing it right for a year now; will continue till I die! OCD`d for life.

Driven Auto Detail
09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
I started getting into it the summer of `05 because we bought a brand new Mazda3 SP23 5-door. Once I got it, I started doing hitting boards like this. Now, I`m wanting to do detailing on the side b/c I love doing it (and working on cars in general).

I.A.S.
09-27-2006, 04:42 PM
since i was old enough to see basically!....i grew up around a dealership and a customs/rod shop that my family owned and ran so seeing vehicles finished and cleaned was a must!

then once i got my own vehicles it really started, keeping a clean vehicle is like a religion to me!

i am about to be 22 so really the last 6 years has been it.

Beason
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
15 when my dad got his new car

superchargedg
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
i got into it about 2 months ago and am now addicted.

imported_Larry A
09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I started when I was 11. I would Simonize my dads 1946 Dodge, latter his 1951 Desoto. This started in 1953. At that time your wax choices were Simonize Paste,Simonize Bodyguard , Johnsons Car Plate, and the polishes were Dupont #7 and Johnsons Carnu. Turtle Wax also was popular at the time , and so was Blue Coral.

metal
09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Always liked cleaning a car, but really got into detailing about 6 months ago.

CalgaryDetail
09-27-2006, 05:58 PM
I started when i got my new nissan altima last year around october(ok october 18th to be exact) so ive been do it for almost a year however with 6 cars to take car of i have alot of practice lol

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
I started about 5 months ago, I was at the All-ford Carlisle event and came across an Adam`s Polishes display. I watched the guy demonstrate some of the products and decided to pick up a kit, I found Autopia while looking for a Porter Cable.

When I bought the Adams kit I only had some Armor-all Tire Dressing, NXT Soap, and thing of TW paste wax.

Ever since then Ive been battling my OCD :sosad

walnuts
09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
I always liked cleaning and detailing my car, but got hooked last week! Found this forum, orders came in - wash, polish, wax, PC, MF...you name it...detailed my Honda last week and now I`m hooked.

cute02spec
09-27-2006, 06:58 PM
My mom is a massive clean freak when it comes to everything, so from an early age I learned to keep at least the interior of a car absolutely spotless. When I got my Spec V almost two years ago is when I turned obsessive, feeling the need to never let a speck of dirt even get on my wheel wells. Stuff like car shows and this forum have just added to my obsession! My kitchen pantry is now devoted to detailing supplies even!

CroMag
09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
It started when I got my first car at 16, I was very compulsive about keeping it clean. I loved the fact that I had a car so I washed it all the time and waxed it about once a month. In college and for the next several years I lived mostly in apartments and didn`t have the space or desire to keep up the same attention to detail.

The last few years I have been rebuilding an old Mustang, and once that was complete I was looking for some info on paint upkeep and stumbled across this site a few months ago. Now the hook has been set again..... :2thumbs:

604_Coast
09-27-2006, 07:21 PM
I`ve been washng cars since I was in the single digit age bracket. In the past year or two it has been much more Autopian, picked up a PC maybe 3-4 months ago and some higher end products. I have such a close eye for imperfections that sometimes I need to step back and listen to all the other people around me saying "Wow, that looks GREAT!"

It is a sickness :)

road7
09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
About a year and a half ago when i got my first car. About 6 months ago i found this forum and have gotten hooked.