PDA

View Full Version : Winter product storage

Grimm
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Living in Michigan is there any need to keep my stuff (polish, etc.) in the house, or will it be OK in the garage (not heated)?

tom p.
09-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Not likely. How cold does it get in the garage?

BobD
09-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Take it in. I will freeze and thaw multiple times in the year and be junk by the time Spring comes. I am near detroit and my garage is not heated but it is heavily insulated and stuff still freezes in there.

Grimm
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
I don`t know how cold it gets, but it`s warmer than outside, and I`ve never seen frozen water to indicate it got to freezing. But better safe than sorry.

BobD
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I don`t know how cold it gets, but it`s warmer than outside, and I`ve never seen frozen water to indicate it got to freezing. But better safe than sorry.

I usually have a bottle of water sitting around and after insulating my garage it took much longer to freeze but it still froze last winter.

Joshua312
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I agree with the others :( As sad as it is to pack everything up for the winter and bring it inside...here in Michigan it has to be done. But just think of how fun it will be in spring time to re-organize everything :spot

BobD
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree with the others :( As sad as it is to pack everything up for the winter and bring it inside...here in Michigan it has to be done. But just think of how fun it will be in spring time to re-organize everything :spot

I usually keep all of mine on a shelve in the basement and have a little tote to carry items to and from the garage for winter detailing.

n2_space
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Probably take it in if you don`t know the condition of your garage. Mine is insulated, and I have two thermometers in there, one on one wall, the other on the wall right under my detailing products (well they are on two walls, in an L shape). My garage never gets lower than the upper 40`s, usually 50`s. When I do any detailing, I have a 40k BTU propane heater sitting in the garage ten foot away aimed up, which keeps the garage warm (it never drops), and the products safe. No issues so far with mine getting anywhere close to freezing.

Joshua312
09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I usually keep all of mine on a shelve in the basement and have a little tote to carry items to and from the garage for winter detailing.

I usually organize my stuff in my room, but now that I have a little puppy the detailing stuff will have to go downstairs as well. It`s just sad looking at all the empty shelves :sadpace: I guess it`s better than all my products going to waste!

coupe
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I also live in MI, trust me, bring everything inside.

Dont risk it, even if your garage is heated.

tom p.
09-27-2006, 01:03 PM
As a general rule: Don`t store your preferred products where there is extreme low or hi temps.

docker
09-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Bring it in and store on your the fireplace mantle or bookself in the family room... since you can`t use it, might as well enjoy looking at it and dreaming of warmer days.

Grimm
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Maybe I can practice buffing out my die cast models. :waxing:

Guy
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
What would be the minimun temp for your products? My garage is usually 48 to 50 in the winter, one extreme cold spell, minus 20, it got down to 42.