PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else detail in pieces?

Pages : [1] 2

coupe
09-27-2006, 08:24 AM
3 days ago i had about 2 hours on my hands so i decided to wash, clay, polish (#83,#80) and seal my tail gate.

I didnt have time to do the whole truck, its a big truck.

Then last night i did the same thing to the sides of the bed.

In the next 4-5 days im gonna do the crew cab and front doors.

And so on and so on until the whole truck is done.

Then i will re-wash the whole truck and put on another layer of sealant.

Does anyone else do it in pieces like this? Every vehicle ive done i do in one day (some 15 hour days).

My truck looks pretty funny now hahaha.

The bed looks BRAND NEW and the rest of the truck is swirls, scrathes, oxidation etc.

The truck itself is 12 years old and spent 10 of those on a farm and 2-tracks so you can imagine the akward look of it right now :lol

Pic of the truck:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/truck.jpg

Here is a test section i did when i first got my PC kit and polishes.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/Rand81/PolisherTest.jpg

BostonDirtDog
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I wouldn`t be able to sleep at night knowing that it wasn`t finished.

coupe
09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Im having trouble sleeping also thinkin about it but i dont have much choice.

imported_Larry A
09-27-2006, 08:49 AM
On my car I do something similar. I do the interior one day , the outside another , and the wheels and engine another.

coupe
09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
On my garage queen i do that also.

Im more curious who does polishing and sealing in pieces though.

David703
09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I buy lots of full sized broncos and I do that also. In fact I got a new one yesterday and I polished the hood and left front fender only. I will probably take me a week to finish it.

coupe
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
My poor truck has rotary holograms ALL over it.

The guy i bought it from had it "professionaly buffed out".

Greeeaaaaat.

I bought it anyway becuase i new i could restore the paint. Year and a half later im just now getting to it, but in pieces.

There looks to be a brake in the weather here, hopefully i can get the cab and doors tonight.

Then all i have left is the front fenders and hood and roof. I might just clay the roof and seal it. No need to polish it, ya cant see it anyway.

tustah
09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I have done cars in pieces, as in wash and clay one day, polish and seal on another, but not panel by panel.

That seems a little awkward to me. It would definitely bother me, knowing that the car is not in proportion.

Just my $.02

imported_memnuts
09-27-2006, 10:43 AM
All the time. :D

I can not be anal about a whole vehicle so I aways just do portions at a time.

I :bow to professional detailers that have this ability to do complete vehicles meticulously in one day.

coupe
09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
It would definitely bother me, knowing that the car is not in proportion.

Oh it bothers me alot. The truck does look weird.

Try to imgaine the bed lookin brand new and the rest of the truck looks all of 12 years old plus some.

But once im done no one will be the wiser that i did it in peices and not all at once.

the other pc
09-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I think it`s better for a car to look like a "quilt" for a few weeks than awful for months. I`d rather work in sections if I can`t set aside a whole day/weekend for a marathon buffing session.

If you at least do one side at a time you don`t see that pieces are different when looking at the car while standing in one place.

PC.

coupe
09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I also found that i can put alot more effort into a panel by doing it this way.

Its nice being able to put 2-3 hours into a single panel.

Accumulator
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
When I only had the minivan for my (one-and-only) dog-hauler I *had* to do it that way, couldn`t have it off the road long enough to do the whole thing the way I do it. I`d rather take my time and do one panel right than rush and do the whole thing poorly.

CroMag
09-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I`ve got a black truck I use as my daily driver that`s in similar condition to what your`s sounds like - 12 years old, 175k, last couple years as a work truck. I`m doing mine in pieces now for a couple reasons - 1) I`m still cutting my teeth on the PC and am still not real fast and 2) I`m trying several different products and I like being able to compare the finshed look on the different panels.

I`ll see how things look and hold up over this winter and then hit the entire thing with the products I really like best next spring. It`s looked pretty rough for the last few years - I figure I can wait another six months.

cute02spec
09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I just divide mine up like engine one day, paint the next, and then interior. Never done different body panels on separate days, although it is a good idea if short on time.