PDA

View Full Version : First PC detail (scared)

jacks
09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
ANy help would be great. I am going to polish a Porsche and a Expedition today. Both are black and have some tough swirls.

I have Optimum and Poorboy`s 2.5 polish. Just checking my procedure.

I plan to start with the OPT and a Green Propel and if that does not work use the PB 2.5 and the Green Propel. Is that correct? I have a yellow Propel if that does not work.

On speed - Do I start with 3-4 for several passes and then go to 6 for a few passes?

I have been reading these forums and have had equipment and polishes for 6 months and this is my first attempt so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Neo62381
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I`ll be honest....I would practice on your own vehicle first before jumping directly to client vehicles. The PC is one of, if not THE most easiest machines to master. However, knowing those easy techniques, isn`t just something you just read about. The first time I tried the PC on my own car, I used a polishing pad from one company (I won`t mention names, but It was VERY popular) only later to find out that I had hazing on my paint, and that the pad I used had more cut then most polishing pads. That is one of countless examples I learned, not from reading, and watching vids.....but from personal hands on experience that you just CAN`T duplicate. IMO, polish some DD`s and save the Porsches for later.

Eliot Ness
09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
....I plan to start with the OPT and a Green Propel and if that does not work use the PB 2.5 and the Green Propel. Is that correct? I have a yellow Propel if that does not work.I would move up to an orange pad before jumping to the yellow.
On speed - Do I start with 3-4 for several passes and then go to 6 for a few passes?

I wouldn`t run the 2.5 any longer than needed on speed 3 to spread it out before hitting it at 5 or 6 on the PC. The yellow pad could leave some hazing that you`ll have to polish out with the green.

I also have to agree with what Neo62381 said in his post above. The last car I would want to start out with is a black Porsche. Like he said the PC is *almost* idiot proof, but there is still a learning curve with what products and pads to use, especially when you are doing defect corrections.