PDA

View Full Version : Time Issue

Darren F
09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
If time were an issue, and you only really had time to use AIO or a similar product, then apply a sealant, would you run your car through one of those "brushless or touchless car washes" to save the 30 - 60 minutes it would take to wash the car?

Guy
09-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I wouldn`t myself, I`d be hesitant that the paint wouldn`t be clean enough to apply the AIO and sealant causing scratches and swirls.

Way2SSlow
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
do you have anything like Poorboys S&W that you could follow up the wash with prior to applying the AIO? I have done it that way with my DD when I was short on time and wanted to get some protection for the paint.

Darren F
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
yes I do have Poorboys S & W.....been raining alot here in Fla so the car is pretty dirty...In the past I have used the automated car wash here in town that is pretty good (the line on the weekends is crazy) but never with my Black car....I do plan on using Prime Acrylic which will remove any swirls, and also clean and protect the paint and then top it with Acylic Jett so I hope I will be ok

Neo62381
09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
no way,....a touchless wash doesn`t leave the surface anywhere near the level it needs to be, in order to hand apply ANYTHING. S&W maybe, but I would be too afraid it would still cause marring, as I never liked the waterless washes, and QD, to remove dirt. With me, if I can`t wash it with a proper two bucket method, the paint is safer to just leave alone. But then again....just an opinion.

Milestones
09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Darren F:

I believe you mentioned you have a black car.

With a black car especially, IMO it is better to be safe than sorry.

Wait till you have time to do a proper washing and get the car good and clean before doing any application/buffing of products on the paint.

deadlock32
09-26-2006, 12:02 PM
You should really try a No Rinse Wash Method

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67760&highlight=qew

This one has links to 2 others as well.

Once you try this method you are probably not going to ever want to wash it the traditional way again. You dont even need a hose... and in the end your car is completely clean and dry.

joyriiide1113
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Once when I was gonna detail my brothers Pathfinder Armada I did that. It was disgusting and mid-day and I knew I was gonna need a lot fo time to wash it. I did not have shade and was almost about to reshedule (it was really hot that day). I decided to run it through the touchless car wash after I picked his car up and then followed it up when I got home with some spray and wipe. Actually came out really clean without the fuss of washing in full sun.

Continued my detail and made sure to go over the nooks and crack fo the vehicle.

I would actually even consider doing that my own car if it wasn`t for the fact that touchless carwashes use harsher chemicals that may degrade the LSP, but for a quick fix, it will get the job done.

Milestones
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Doing a quick wash followed by a good quality QD is one thing.

Doing a quick wash followed by application/buffing of AIO and a sealant is another.

Darren F
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
so one of those tunnel " brushless car washes" wont get the car clean enough?

Neo62381
09-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Honestly.....no, anyone on here will tell you that. There is a lot of contaminants that kind of bond or get stuck to your paint, that a touchless won`t even DREAM of getting off. Take bug guts, in the front of your car for example, go through a touchless wash sometime, and you`ll see for yourself, won`t even budge it. A touchless wash JUST gets the LOOSE stuff out of the way.

On a side note, a touchless wash is VERY harsh on any wax or sealant you have on your car, dont ask me how it can remove the wax, but not the baked on stuff, I couldn`t tell ya. But the stuff thats stuck on just won`t come out, unless gently dislodged and flushed away.

Darren F
09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
so the idea of a touchless/brushless wash and the some Poorboys S & W isnt a good idea?

Way2SSlow
09-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Darren,

As I said, I`ve done it before. I stay on top of keeping my car clean though and I clay it as often as necessary. I didnt have any problems, but my DD is white too.

Darren F
09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
its killing me that my car is so dirty.....really need to do something but now that it is the end of the month it leaves me even less time to get to it and dont want the guys here at my dealership to do it since I know they wont do any where near as good a job as I would