PDA

View Full Version : White Haze on Wheels

redvalkyrie
09-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Recently, my powder coated wheels have developed a problem. I usually wash them with Meguiar`s NXT Car Wash through a pressure washer. I don`t allow them to get too dirty so for the most part this has worked well.

A few weeks ago I read here that waxing wheels is just as important as waxing the paint on the car. So, of course, I applied a light coat of NXT wax to the wheels. Well, since that time, whenever I rinse the wheels, a white haze appears. It looks like hard water spots--but only on the wheels. Never happens on the car`s paint.

At first, I thought the haze was a reaction between the water, wax, and brake dust. So, I thoroughly cleaned the wheels of all haze using a little bit of polishing compound and alcohol. I`m pretty sure any wax left would have been removed.

However, the haze still comes back whenever the wheels are exposed to water from my pressure washer. Doesn`t happen when I use a regular hose.

I can remove the haze using Griot`s Wheel Cleaner and a lot of rubbing using a cotton towel.

I`m wondering if my pressure washer is doing something to the water? Could the NXT Car Wash be a problem?

Any thoughts?

paul34
09-26-2006, 12:23 PM
What color did you have them powder coated? I`ve heard of black rims because notoriously hard to clean well...

redvalkyrie
09-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Gold in the center. The lip was polished and then the entire wheel was clear coated.