PDA

View Full Version : Micro marring

Taubs
09-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I used Megs #83 on a yellow cutting pad to try and get rid of some random scratches on my door., following up with PO85RD on a white polishing pad and finally PO85RD on a black finishing pad.

I still have some minor micro marring. What did I do wrong? Should I have followed up with the #83 on a white polishing pad, then the PO85RD on the white?

Thanks for the guidance.

RAG
09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Awefully hard to say from this vantage point...but #83 does have some bite, especially with a yellow pad. But I would sure think two subsequent steps would take care of it. But I suppose if you have a black car then it`s possibly you are getting some micromarring even from 106ff or 85RD (btw, they are very very similar). You could try going over it again with 106ff and finishing pad (or PO85RD, but I don`t think you`ll ever notice a difference between the two as far as finish quality...I know I don`t). If you go over it a time or two again, and the micromarring is still there, then I`d say you have really soft paint that`s going to be real hard to polish without leaving some degree of micromarring, and you`re only solution is to find someone who can perform the final finish with a rotary for you...which is exremely hard if it`s soft black paint (defenitely a catch 22). Otherwise you can just live with a slight amount of micromarring - most people don`t even notice it.

LeadingEdgeDetail
09-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Yellow pad will marr soft paint, and the marring will be deeper than you can get with a finer polish and a polishing pad.

You will have to go over it with a polishing pad (white) and the same grit compound used on the yellow.

Or don`t use Yellow LC pads on soft paint :) I have completely stopped using them for that exact reason, and now I only use Orange cutting pads, and I`ve never had more beautiful finishes!

RAG
09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Good point Stumpy, those yellow pads can sure tear the surface up.