PDA

View Full Version : Which would leave a better finish on black?

Beason
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Z5pro or RMG topped with Souveran? I know adding souveran will decrease the durability of Zaino.

Bigpoppa3346
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Obviously Z would be much more durable, but Souveran is one of the most satisfying looks on black that there is, IMO.

DM101
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I would my sure you have a good polished surface. Then RMG. Then Souveran. And wear your sunglasses!

Beason
09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Prep will be HC or IP followed by FPII.

TigerMike
09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
One is a premium sealant, one a premium carnauba, so the looks achieved by each will be different.

If you`re going for looks only, Souveran is going to look better and more liquid on black, due to the high oil content. If you care about protection/durability (say for a daily driver), Zaino is the better choice, by a long shot. Zaino will be easier to maintain though, as well.

racingbeat
09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
ok after you`ve done it take a picture of each and post the pics.

Have each autopian guess which is which.

Once you`ve gotten 20 guesses post the right one.

I gurantee few if any will be able to tell.

All these products do virtually identical jobs. THe difference is price, durability and

ease of use/compatibility with other products.

imported_memnuts
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
One is a premium sealant, one a premium carnauba, so the looks achieved by each will be different.

If you`re going for looks only, Souveran is going to look better and more liquid on black, due to the high oil content. If you care about protection/durability (say for a daily driver), Zaino is the better choice, by a long shot. Zaino will be easier to maintain though, as well.

Agree completely.

If you use the products that you stated for the prep, the FPII will give you a fantastic liquid appearing black.

The next question is do you want to augment the liquid appearance (Pinnacle Souveran) or protect and maintain that already liquid appearance produced by the prep (Zaino Z5PRO).

Either route will need their cousin super QD`s for optimum appearance maintenence.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist or Zaino Z8.

Way2SSlow
09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
ok after you`ve done it take a picture of each and post the pics.

Have each autopian guess which is which.

Once you`ve gotten 20 guesses post the right one.

I gurantee few if any will be able to tell.

All these products do virtually identical jobs. THe difference is price, durability and

ease of use/compatibility with other products.

It`s hard to tell from pics. I know a member (I think the screen name is Intercooled) did exactly what you`ve said on his SWEET Grand National, and it is almost impossible to tell from online pics. I`ve had both Z and Souveran on MY car and I`d be willing to bet that I could tell the difference on MY car. Having used both with almost identical prep work, I give the visual nod to Souveran and the functional (ie durability) to Souveran.

Beason
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
I believe there is a misunderstanding. I was wondering what would look better under Souveran. That will be used reguardless. The two Im not sure about is RMG or Z5pro before. I know one is a glaze and one is a sealant but both leave an awesome look on paint.

TigerMike
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Oh, well, I`d use Z5 then instead personally, for its protective qualities.

AL-53
09-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree with Mike...the zaino would be better...the RMG may boost the wet and deep look...but when the wax reaches it end cycle you have no protection...the zaino will protect your paint after the Sov starts to end it life span....unless you are going to wax evry 3-4 weeks...at least with the zaino on you have very good UV protection and paint will be shielded after wax dies off..

Al

ashsarna
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Obviously Z would be much more durable, but Souveran is one of the most satisfying looks on black that there is, IMO.

+ 1

In my experience, souveran is the sure bet. I hve found paste waxes are better against bird bombs and the harsh enviroment like acid rain. The best thing is that it takes me only 10-15 minutes to add layers every three weeks. Durability is secondary for me as looks ranks first ( and imho, that is rmg and then souveran - wet wet wet).

imported_memnuts
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Souveran over Z5PRO would be the way to go rather than RMG. The prep you plan and the wetness and depth produced by the Z5PRO creates from my experience a better appearance.

Plus Protection!!!! :woot:

I would wait at least a few days, even if using ZFX, before topping with Souveran. The solvents in Souveran might disrupt the final crossing-linking if applied too soon.

SilverLexus
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Z-5 Pro comes surprisingly close to Souveran. It`s much deeper and wetter than the non-Pro version. That said, I think wetness belongs to Souveran. There is a big tradeoff - Souveran won`t be as slick and repel rain as well and it tends to lose some of the appearance after a few weeks. With Zaino Z-8 you bring back the shine after a wash.

gmblack3
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Z-5 Pro comes surprisingly close to Souveran. It`s much deeper and wetter than the non-Pro version. That said, I think wetness belongs to Souveran. There is a big tradeoff - Souveran won`t be as slick and repel rain as well and it tends to lose some of the appearance after a few weeks. With Zaino Z-8 you bring back the shine after a wash.

Like Lee said its very close. After using Souveran on a recent customers black car, it looked very good, but nothing that blew away the look at I got on the last few black cars that I did with Z5pro.