PDA

View Full Version : What product to use for polished aluminum wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

dapolishdude
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
I just got a set of Iforged wheels for my Corvette, and the lip is polished aluminum (no clearcoat). What is the best product to use this to get them to a mirror like finish? What sort of towels/pads should I be using? Thanks

Way2SSlow
09-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Mother`s Powerball and Powermetal polish have served me well so far. If just the lip is polished, you may want to look at the mini powerball.

coupe
09-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Here ya go:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77980&highlight=mini

dapolishdude
09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
if i accidently get some of the aluminum polish on the chrome that wont affect the chrome correct? since the chrome is a harder material then aluminum? Because I was thinking with the ball design when I try to get close to the lip where it meets the spoke it is going to make contact with the spoke.

coupe
09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
if i accidently get some of the aluminum polish on the chrome that wont affect the chrome correct? since the chrome is a harder material then aluminum? Because I was thinking with the ball design when I try to get close to the lip where it meets the spoke it is going to make contact with the spoke.

Tape off the spokes.

dapolishdude
09-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Tape off the spokes.

that would pretty much require taping off the entire wheel because with the 3 piece design the rivets go all the way around the wheel and would pretty much take more time then the powerball would save me

http://www.iforged.com/albums/Chevrolet/z06silver.sized.jpg

i have these exact wheels

coupe
09-25-2006, 10:12 AM
I could tape those in minutes, just tape off where it looks like the ball *might* touch the spokes.

Judgeing from that pic it would be super easy and fast to tape.

You have to understand that if you want a great lookin ride its gonna cost you time, alot of it. Plus you only should need to polish them once a year if you keep them clean after you polish.

dapolishdude
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I could tape those in minutes, just tape off where it looks like the ball *might* touch the spokes.

Judgeing from that pic it would be super easy and fast to tape.

You have to understand that if you want a great lookin ride its gonna cost you time, alot of it. Plus you only should need to polish them once a year if you keep them clean after you polish.

I thought you pretty much had to polish them everytime you washed the car because the water spots etch themselves into the aluminum? Sorry I am a complete noob when it comes to polished bare aluminum, what should I use between polishing? Something like Klasse AIO?

coupe
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
After you polish with the powerball and the polish just coat them with whatever sealant ya want. After that just wash them and dry them. Water wont etch unless you let the water dry on the rims, so just dont let it dry.

sspeer
09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldn`t use the powerball unless they have some corrosion.

I`ve tried a bunch of products (in search for the perfect metal polish for the Sportster)

2 of my favs have been Mr. Buffer and NXT Polysh. Mr. Buffer is nice in that it`s a liquid consistency and is less messy. NXT is a great value and probably my favorite creme-style polish.

Both leave a little protection

TGates
09-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I really like NXT Metal Polysh as well. Might want to double check and make sure it`s safe for polished aluminum. Also check if your wheels are clearcoated or not. On my V-Rod I used the Powerball and mother`s polish on my anodized wheels and it saved me so much time and gave superior results. On those wheels on your C5, I`d be a little more careful.

You might also want to check out Poorboy`s Pro Polish. I`ve had good luck with it on everything from paint to metal.

imported_Yal
09-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Collinite 845 and 476s are really great on wheels for protection.

imported_Totoland Mach
09-25-2006, 08:51 PM
I did not have good luck with the powerball for the same reasons. My rims are non-clear coated and polished with painted centers (see pic).

I use a 3" cotton buffing wheel attachment to my drill (the wheels are found at most hardware stores for $4.00 or so) and Mothers Billet Creme or Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh. Once I finished with polishing, I put a coat of M21 sealant or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant on them for some protection.

The inner rim is also polished in the same manner which I do approx. 3-4 times per year.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Team3Wheel_Rear.jpg

Hope that helps ya.

Totoland Mach

sspeer
09-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Collinite 845 and 476s are really great on wheels for protection.

Collinite also makes a Metal Wax, which will clean oxidation. It works OK, but I think it`s borderline too abrasive for aluminum, so it doesn`t finish as great

Mobilejay
09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
what about wenol red followed by blue. i had asked about polishing wheels that were on a dually (22.5" wheels and all billet) and someone mentioned wenol red followed by wenol blue. havent tried it yet buy prob. going to order some with the power ball mini.