PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on older Vette

4point6
09-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Very soon I will be working on a 70`s style Corvette for a relative, all original inside and out. I`m assuming that it will be fairly swirly and dull, and was wondering what you guys like to use on non-clearcoated paints. I do not want to go too heavy on the polish because I cringe when I see paint coming off. Do you think just Z5pro would be sufficient?

BanditSRT
09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
If the Vette is all original it doesn`t have a clear coat, so I`m not sure how well Z5Pro would work. Z3 is Zaino`s polish for single stage paints.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-3&Category_Code=Zaino

Accumulator
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
4point6- This is well worth doing a search on as we`ve gone into ss paints in detail a few times just recently. I don`t mean that as a blow off I just can`t repeat all the info (that I typed in the last few days) again right now.

Short version: I often prefer Meg`s products as their "trade secret oils" work well on ss. #80 then a carnauba would be a simple approach. I tend to prefer carnaubas on ss, not sealants, but that`s just me.

Don`t be *too* worried about the paint/pigment transfer, as long as you`re using mild products the bulk of it oughta be oxidized paint anyhow. All abrasives will remove paint, but mild ones don`t take that much off, and GM used pretty thick paintjobs back in the days of single stage. Just watch it on the high points and other areas where it might be thin and work towards "improved" as opposed to "perfect". Better imperfect original paint than a need for a repaint.

You might consider a glaze/Meg`s "pure polish" between the polishing step and the LSP, it could hide some more imperfections and benefit the paint ("feeding the paint" with oils etc. isn`t total BS with single stage the way it is with basecoat/clear).

4point6
09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys. I think I may use Meg`s #7 glaze followed by a carnuaba, it`s an orange car so it should glow nicely. and silly me forgot about Z3....