PDA

View Full Version : Z-PC Hazing when used with a PC+Polishing Pad

Kewjoe
09-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I`ve seen the video (Link) (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/). I don`t think I`m using too much product (very thin line in a circle), I`m working until its very translucent. But I keep getting haze!

Step:

Z7 Wash

Clay

Optimum HC and C entire car using LC Orange or Yellow pads

50a/50w wipedown

Now I`m using the white LC pad, i started with a nickle size. That area i used the nickel size, hazed the most. I went over it again with only a thin line and some hazing went away but not all. I`ve since done 3 more parts of the hood and they all have slight haze, and its not the entire panel, just small areas show hazing, while others are fine :doh

Any ideas?

RAG
09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
What color is your car? Black?

Without any further information, I`d guess OHC is leaving too deep of marring to be cleaned up by Z-PC. Also, if your car is pure black...I`ll bet Z-PC by itself will leave a slight haze (accumulation of micro-marring); try ZPC on an area you haven`t compounded to find out.

If you have heavy swirls, this would be my process (given the product you have):

1) Compound with OHC and orange pad

2) light compound step with Optimum Compound via white pad

3) Z-PC via white pad (and not too much pressure)

But first try step #3 by itself to make sure it isn`t responsible for some of the haze you see.

Kewjoe
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Rag,

Car is a Red 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

my hood didn`t see any OHC, just OC. And it didn`t leave any noticable haze when i was done (under two 500watt halogen worklights).

Im applying very light pressure with the Z-PC and white pad.

I don`t have have an area of my car that i didn`t compound :P this was my first time correcting paint on the car, so i did everything.

imported_DennisH
09-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Here is what it says on Zaino Website about Z-PC

I used Z-PC and now the paint looks hazy. Is this normal?

Dark color surfaces, especially black, will sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion does not have any fillers or oils. To make the surface crystal clear, apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 to make this milky look go away, leaving a perfect, crisp, clear, BLACK and scratch free finish.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino

What you are seeing could be normal.

Bigpoppa3346
09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I don`t think the hazing is from the Optimum, as even on the softest of black paints I can go from OHC on a cutting pad to FPII on a polishing pad(via PC). I`d say to just forget using Z-PC and use some other finishing polish that you know works.

Kewjoe
09-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Dark color surfaces, especially black, will sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion does not have any fillers or oils. To make the surface crystal clear, apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 to make this milky look go away, leaving a perfect, crisp, clear, BLACK and scratch free finish.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino

:2thumbs:

Sounds good. I`ll go with this :)

ill wash the pad as well and start fresh to make sure i have the proper amount of product on the pad.

Thanks folks

mbkintner
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM

I`ve read this statement off the Zaino site in a few threads and I just dont` get it. Shouldn`t a correctly polished surface look good without the LSP? :nixweiss

If there is hazing and micromarring before the Z2 or Z5 is applied won`t it be visible again after the LSP wears away? I thought the point of Z2 and Z5 was to protect a properly prepared surface, not hide an improperly prepared one. I`m a big fan of Zaino, but if ZPC is going to cause these problems I doubt I`ll ever use it. :sadpace:

Mike

RAG
09-24-2006, 04:52 PM
:2thumbs:

Sounds good. I`ll go with this :)

ill wash the pad as well and start fresh to make sure i have the proper amount of product on the pad.

Thanks folks

Don`t worry so much about the right amount of product...it really should not be responsible for the issue you are having.

And per the previous post...I`d ditch the Z-PC and get me some PO106FF if I were you.

One more thing - I surprised you didn`t see any compound from OC or OHC, as both of these have left noticable micromarring (haze) when I`ve used them via PC on blue, red, and black paints...especially when one uses a yellow pad.

Kewjoe
09-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Don`t worry so much about the right amount of product...it really should not be responsible for the issue you are having.

And per the previous post...I`d ditch the Z-PC and get me some PO106FF if I were you.

One more thing - I surprised you didn`t see any compound from OC or OHC, as both of these have left noticable micromarring (haze) when I`ve used them via PC on blue, red, and black paints...especially when one uses a yellow pad.

If there were micromarring i would see them with those 2x500watt halogen work lamps i have. I`ve seen micromarring pictures, but my car looks perfect. *shrug*. I was expecting some with the OHC and Yellow pad for sure, but i didn`t use that combo for very much, one small area i think.

I can`t ditch the Z-PC, i paid $20 CDN for it :P have to make use of it. If i were to get another polish, id just complete the collection and get the OP.. but ive spent enough on products for a while. I need to make this work :)

thanks for the replies

wannafbody
09-24-2006, 10:18 PM
try the ZPC with an orange one step pad. I`ve used it on Navy blue mettallic and it left a LSP ready surface. I use about 10 small dots of product on the pad and work it until it`s clear. The ZPC should remove any hazing from OHC.

Kewjoe
09-24-2006, 10:41 PM
try the ZPC with an orange one step pad. I`ve used it on Navy blue mettallic and it left a LSP ready surface. I use about 10 small dots of product on the pad and work it until it`s clear. The ZPC should remove any hazing from OHC.

Is an Orange one step pad, teh same as an LC Orange pad?

I have 3 pads,

LC Yellow Heavy Cut

LC Orange Mild Cut

LC White Polishing

i also have the above 3 in 4" pads, and a black finishing pad

Kewjoe
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
This hazing didn`t end up going away after applying 3 layers of Z5 :(

Kind of bummed, spent many hours on this only to have some hazing here and there. not consistent at all. I went over the spots with the hazing again and it just moves the hazing to a different spot.. strange.. only happened on a few panels.. not the whole car.. ah well.. will have to wait till spring before i care to spend that much time again.

Slowly losing my patience with Zaino products

wannafbody
09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
This hazing didn`t end up going away after applying 3 layers of Z5 :(

Kind of bummed, spent many hours on this only to have some hazing here and there. not consistent at all. I went over the spots with the hazing again and it just moves the hazing to a different spot.. strange.. only happened on a few panels.. not the whole car.. ah well.. will have to wait till spring before i care to spend that much time again.

Slowly losing my patience with Zaino products

that sounds like possibly a dry buffing issue. Try using a spray of water to keep the product moist to work longer. The LC orange is the same pad I have. ZPC is a fairly aggressive product and that might be part of your issue. As I stated elswhere use less than you think you hsould and buff it out to a real thin layer and work it in. If you continue to have problems use a milder polish such as menzerna or Mothers Powerpolish. The Mothers is extremely easy to use. Just do an ISO wipedown.