PDA

View Full Version : ¿Window / Glass Cleaner recommendation?

Jesse_Bolt
09-22-2006, 08:47 PM
I have searched the forum a bit and found a wealth of information on removing scratches and water spots on glass along with water repellent advice.

What I`m looking for is glass cleaner advice. Right now I`m using Windex on my exterior windows and my non-tinted interior windows. Using Glass Plus on my tinted interior windows. Both products work as far as cleaning, but there seems to some streaking and haze left behind. It really shows up when the windows fog up.

¿Is there a better glass cleaner than Windex and Glass Plus?

JB

Greenville, NC

imported_madwax
09-22-2006, 09:08 PM
on the exteriors i would go w/ a good window polish autoglym, klasse, in conjunction w/ the window cleaner. i would also try a 50/50 solution of distilled water & vinegar (i like the white). start a collection of old newspapers and use that to clean with, the ink acts as a polish, be careful though the ink will get on your hands. and everything you touch afterwards..... designate 1 or 2 MF for window use only. use these as your trailers, to wipe away any smudges or smears you leave behind (shouldn`t be many). hope this helps.

evo77
09-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I`ve used Stoner, Eagle One, Windex, Cheapo brands and NONE of them compare to...

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pr/05meguiars/assets/images/NXT_Gen_Glass_Cleanersm.jpg

Spray directly onto a quality mf towel, wipe window, flip mf towel to dry side for buff. Spotless and streak free! :bigups

RCBuddha
09-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Both products work as far as cleaning, but there seems to some streaking and haze left behind. It really shows up when the windows fog up.

Be sure to use clean, dedicated MF towels. I will often use only one towel for every two windows. Also, the temperature of the glass also makes a difference, I find that glass cleaners can leave streaks on warm/hot glass, and glass that is in direct sunlight. There might also be a film buildup of crud, so some polishing could also be in order.

Is there a better glass cleaner than Windex and Glass Plus?

Over the Counter:

Eagle One 20/20

Stoners Invisible Glass

Over the Internet:

Chemical Guys Glass Cleaner

Adams Glass Cleaner

imported_newwaxer
09-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Sprayway Glass cleaner. Less than $2/can and a can lasts a long time

http://www.spraywayinc.com/glassmirror/050glassmirror.html

Locally available or over the internet.

ret
09-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Hope`s Perfect Glass works well for me.

I get it at Lowes.

http://4imgs.com/295/x/glass_FULL.jpg

RET

paul34
09-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Stoner`s Invisible Glass works for me... plus microfiber

I`ve always had problems with streaks, until I finally fixed it. How? I took 1-2 dry MFs after I was done cleaning, and buffed the glass with them like there was no tommorow. I was in pretty bad shoulder pain that night, but my windows, for the first time ever, were completely clean.

If it wasn`t for the annoying orange lint my Vroom towels leave behind, they`d be perfect... but the lint is small so it only shows up in certain lighting

currently, though, I`m trying to figure out a method to COMPLETELY clean glass... as in, get old wax and rain-x off the glass to leave it completely bare, so I can start over with my less than good rain-x applications...

buff away my friend!

benvegas
09-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Pretty much any glass cleaner will do the trick. Make sure it`s not ammonia based if you have tinted windows (not factory tinted, but the window film tint). Just make sure cool area, no sun, CLEAN towel. That`s all you need to know.

P-nut
09-23-2006, 12:28 AM
currently, though, I`m trying to figure out a method to COMPLETELY clean glass... as in, get old wax and rain-x off the glass to leave it completely bare, so I can start over with my less than good rain-x applications...

Try clay. I had a rear window that had a layer of something that nothing could remove - not even 0000 steel wool and ammonia. The clay took it right off and the window looks brand new.

Five Star
09-23-2006, 01:00 AM
sprayway or nxt glass cleaner.

i do prefer sprayway though