PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym & Adams

Mobilejay
09-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I was searching through their site last night and had some ?`s. the SRP ill probably use but does it take swirls out or does it just fill them? the paint renovator for oxidation, has anyone ever used it and can it be used by hand or PC or does it have to be used with a rotary? how is their fabric top cleaner, Metal polish for billet wheels, and has anyone used their ultra deep shine?

I dont see too much talk on Adams products, is there a reason? i was wondering if their polish for wheels was any good. anyway just a few questions i had about the two companys. thanks in advance.

CalgaryDetail
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
When i fist started detailing i used adams, thought they were great, easy to use and not to expensive. Then i tried more products and the adams fell by the way side. I personly do not like them I dont likethe results of nay prodcut but the in and out spray.. its awsome but other then that i realy was disapointed by the adams products, Including the mf clothes. I didnt find then to be to soft or work well at all. These are just my 2 cents but in my opion theres a reason adams is not discussed much here

Mobilejay
09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
alright, thanks for the info.

imported_Dave KG
09-22-2006, 05:43 PM
The Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains a very mild, chalky abrasive but it mainly fills the defects in paintwork rather than removing them. This makes it a highly effective polish for working by hand where remvoing defects may be difficult (hard paint) or where abrasive polishes are not suitable (thin paint).

The Paint Renovator I believe is actually intended for use by hand, but think of it as being like T-Cut. Its aggressive, the abrasives dont diminish and there is a risk of scouring the finish when using it and it can put in more scratches than it takes out. It will work ok, with a little practice the finish will be ok, but IMHO there are many better products out there.

The Fabric Hood Cleaner kit I find to be excellent and is one I always keep in my detailing colection... I also use and rate highly the 303 Fabric Cleaner and Fabric Guard for fabric hoods. Like both the AG and 303 ones, and keep both in my collection.

I have had the Ultra Deep Shine demonstrated to me by an Autoglym rep, and had a shot of it but I personally prefered the SRP on most paint colours... where the UDS seemed to come into its own was on a solid black car I tried it on, and it worked a treat on that. But on most colours I actually prefer using the SRP.

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 05:55 PM
The Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains a very mild, chalky abrasive but it mainly fills the defects in paintwork rather than removing them. This makes it a highly effective polish for working by hand where remvoing defects may be difficult (hard paint) or where abrasive polishes are not suitable (thin paint)..

That`s my take as well. People whose opinions I respect say that it`ll do some correction with the right pads/techniques but it never did any for me even on the Jag`s soft lacquer (which I really like using it on).

It doesn`t clean as well as AIO (side-by-side test) but it fills better and IMO looks better. Lasts a lot longer too (comparing them when both are left untopped).

I tried layering it as per Autoglym`s instructions- apply the second "layer" after a 24 hour cure, and do it very gently so the abrasives and cleaners don`t do a number on the first "layer". While I figured it was all BS (come on, cleaners and abrasives in it and it`ll layer? :rolleyes: ) the panel I did with two applications did bead longer than the panel I only did with one. I generally top it with carnauba anyhow, but I did find that interesting.

Brian_Brice
09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
When i fist started detailing i used adams, thought they were great, easy to use and not to expensive. Then i tried more products and the adams fell by the way side. I personly do not like them I dont likethe results of nay prodcut but the in and out spray.. its awsome but other then that i realy was disapointed by the adams products, Including the mf clothes. I didnt find then to be to soft or work well at all. These are just my 2 cents but in my opion theres a reason adams is not discussed much here

thats funny and i agree, the in n out spray is the only adams product in my truck.

Mobilejay
09-23-2006, 01:33 AM
thanks everyone, this helps a lot and it makes me spend less lol. thanks

benvegas
09-23-2006, 05:47 PM
But isnt Adams just Chemical Guys products? I`m told it`s their "value" tier of CG stuff not the CG "good stuff".

imported_02ZTSfocus
09-24-2006, 11:36 AM

This is exactly what I`m experiencing right now. When I first starting getting into detailing, it was because I fell into the marketing of Adams stuff. For a car that was in as rough shape as mine was, I`m sure any line of car care would have impressed me. I have since tried quite a few different waxes and polishes, all of which stand WAY ahead of the Adams products.

The only stuff from Adams I currently use is the VRT on my dash (until its used up and I buy some 303) and their MF towels(soon to be replaced also). Their S&H Remover stains the trim horribly, I`m still finding traces of it on my trim and its a PIA to get off.

Their soap is OK, it suds a lot but doesn`t seem to lubricate very well.

The Butter Wax looks great, but durability is laughable at best.

The Revive Polish I still have yet to find a real purpose for since its non-abrasive, doesn`t seem to have any chemical cleaners, or contain any type of fillers.

The Brilliant Spray Glaze does OK for filling in swirl marks and enhancing gloss, but be prepared to throw your back out trying to buff it off.

The VRT is pretty decent for the dash IMHO, but for exterior trim and tires, durability is the worst of any product Ive ever used. On the tires I get 3-5 days MAX w/o rain, as soon as water touches this stuff its gone.

Don`t get me wrong, its decent stuff for someone who isn`t an Autopian, its very user friendly and produces decent results. In my eyes there are a lot more products that provide much better results.

Derf
09-24-2006, 08:42 PM

I agree 100% on the Adam`s MFs. I had bought a six pack a while back, but after using Pak Shak and other brands, I hardly ever use the Adam`s and if I do, it`s on my wheels.

CalgaryDetail
09-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Its nice to see others having the same problems and thoughts as I did. Adams is all about getting the person who waxes there car once a year adn washes it with dawn. They say ohh were so much better, be like a pro and people fall for it. They products are ok but there is soooooo much better out there and cheaper, adams is expesnsive. And i lied I do use there bucket lol. I love the bucket but hey there all the same i the end

benvegas
09-24-2006, 10:36 PM
That`s where I get confused. If Adams products are sub-par, and he uses chemical guys, why do people like chemical guys so much?

Mobilejay
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
That`s where I get confused. If Adams products are sub-par, and he uses chemical guys, why do people like chemical guys so much?

Good question.

imported_Grouse
09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
There is ongoing debate about how much PB,adams and Chemical guys products are the same.

I`ve tried a few of adams products adn they are fine, It`s all about knowing the limitations of what you are using and what it`s needs are.

jjrodger
09-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Autoglym

Autoglym products are generally intended to be used by hand although they can be applied by machine if you so wish. They are not aimed at the really high end detailing market, albeit they are better than their consumer reputation suggests.

Ultra Deep Shine requires a great deal of labour to remove: much more than SRP. I am not convinced by the finish at all. IMO it is not worht the effort compared to, say, Meguiar`s NXT. However, the Workshop Manager at Aston Martin Works Service in Newport Pagnell (whom I recently had occasion to meet professionally) reckoned it was the best consumer product he had come across.

Cabriolet Hood Cleaner and Protector are both excellent.

Vinyl and Rubber Care is great, especially for tyres and other exterior black plastic trim. It leaves a lovely satin finish with very little sling and has surprisingly good durability (most of these products wash off in the first shower of rain, but AG VRC lasts a couple of weeks).

Interior Shampoo is very effective at removing grime from all interior surfaces. It does not leave any finish. It is quick and easy.

Engine and Machine Cleaner likewise is very effective in the engine compartment.

Intensive Tar Remover works, too.

Fast Glass is a brilliant glass spritz cleaner; Glass Polish works on more heavily soiled windows, removing waterspotting and aircon grime.

I have not used Clean Wheels on billet wheels. However, it works most effectively on painted alloys. It is not as good as Meguiar`s Hot Rims, but significantly cheaper.

The metal polish works very well on under bonnet components, exhaust pipes, and chromed body adornments (radiator grilles and such like). It comes either in a tube or a bottle. The tube is easier to use.

I have been disappointed with the Leather Cleaner and Leather Care Cream. Does anybody make a leather cleaner that will get the grime out of my beige leather seats?

The best Autoglym product of all is Extra Gloss Protection. This is a paintwork sealant which should be applied over polished paintwork. It is a mix of natural (including Carnauba) and syntheric ingredients. Durability is amazing. I treat my cars to one or two coats of EGP twice a year (once in the spring, once in the autumn). My cars are often stored outside and are used throughout the winter. Yet the paintwork remains incredibly glossy and deep and water continues to bead. I`d say EGP, applied properly, lasts over 6 months or 10,000 miles. All the car really requires is washing. There is nothing like this product.