PDA

View Full Version : meguiar`s products...

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 12:36 AM
i wanted some input on what to order next...

for a while, i`ve been using meguiar`s #4, #2, #9 and #3, followed by klasse

after browsing the forums here for a few days, i`ve been hearing good things about the other meguiar`s products though, particularly #83, #80 and only one that i`ve been using which is #3

i wanted to order some supplies from meguiar`s and i wanted to get the products based on their table of cutting power (one that is on their bottles) so i figured i would go with #84 (in case i need it because i`ve needed it in the past), #1, #2, #9, and #3... basically the odd numbers on the "cutting-chart"

after reading the forums though, like i said, i`m thinking of geting #83 and #80 either in addition to my list (84,1,2,9,3) or as a substitute for some of those on the list

i really like #9 because it takes out a lot of the smaller/lighter swirls so that i don`t have to use anything more abrasive on the paint, and i`m afraid if i substitute #80 for #9, i will introduce a bit more hazing into the paint and then need to use #9 after anyway

i also like the #2 but wouldn`t mind replacing it with #83 because 1. i heard very good things about it, and 2. i usually go over it with a less abrasive polish (#9), so if any hazing appears from #83, it should be gone after #9

so, right now i`m thinking of getting #84, #83, #80, #9 and #3...

what do you guys think and what polishes do you guys suggest i order??

EDIT: i recently heard that #9 has some fillers so i think i`ll replace #9 completely with #82, unless you guys think it`s fine to use #9, then #3, then klasse???

also, i noticed that #9 and #82 have the same cutting power according to meg`s chart, so i was wondering what differences are there between the two??

lastly, i`m planning on getting the #7 show car glaze because i`ve also heard great things about it and looked at photos where cars look amazing after a #7 application...

my question about it is... do i seal it with klasse or is it a sealant itself ?? am i fine using aio and sg after #7 has been wiped off??

thanks a lot in advance and sorry for such a long post, i just had these questions on my mind and had to ask

thanks again,

ivan

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 10:58 AM
just wanted to bump since i posted very late at night and not many people saw it probably, if any

mongo
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
I say go for 21 sealant I assume you use a PC with all those cleaners you have although 21 can be applied by hand.

Put 21 on paint let sit on for 45 min to an hour remove with towel or use ultimate MF bonnet from Meg`s let cure on paint for 12hrs before applying 2nd coat same way as 1st coat you will be good to go.

Rayc777
09-22-2006, 12:01 PM
I would replace #80 with #82. #82 will remove some defects and it will polish your paint beautifully.

Derrick

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 12:15 PM
lecchilo- FWIW I don`t use Meg`s stuff before AIO, instead I use polishes that don`t leave anything behind. With Meg`s stuff, the AIO cleans off the "trade secret oils" and often reveals hidden, residual marring. I use stuff like the Meg`s products under carnaubas (you can use them under other Meguiar`s LSPs too but I don`t use those).

Sorta-random thoughts on some of the products you mentioned follow:

#82 is just a slightly different version of #9, different abrasives of a more uniform nature that`re better on clearcoats than the old-school abrasives in #9.

#80 can be a tiny bit too abrasive on some very soft paints.

If #2 is working for you I don`t see any reason to switch to #83.

Don`t try stuff like #84 without a rotary, it`s not PC/hand friendly.

#3 is a functionally nonabrasive "pure polish". Same with #7 which is sorta a richer/slightly different version of the same kind of stuff. #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2...all pretty much alike. I`d be astounded if KSG bonded to #7 (which I do like under carnaubas on single stage paint).

Meguiar`s hates it when people say "fillers" but in my experience all the polishes you mentioned (at least the ones I`ve tried) do a fair amount of, well, let`s say "concealing". It`s the "trade secret oils" or something...but in my experience it *does* do some hiding.

AIO is a potent (chemical, hardly abrasive at all) paint cleaner that provides some minimal protection. KSG is a sealant. KSG bonds well to AIO but not to many other products.

I`d go with polishes from Hi-Temp, Menzerna/BlackFire, and others long before I`d choose Meguiar`s...and I have the Meguiar`s stuff on the shelf and I used it for years so I`m speaking from first-hand experience. If you like it, cool, many do...but not me.

94BlkStang
09-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I would replace #80 with #82. #82 will remove some defects and it will polish your paint beautifully.

Derrick

I agree. #82 is an excellent product and finishes very nice which allows you to go to an LSP. I was using #9 at first and getting decent results, but once I switched to #82 my results were even better. A combination of #83, #82 and one of their LSP`s makes for a good combination for a reasonable price that`s more than likely available locally.

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I say go for 21 sealant I assume you use a PC with all those cleaners you have although 21 can be applied by hand.

Put 21 on paint let sit on for 45 min to an hour remove with towel or use ultimate MF bonnet from Meg`s let cure on paint for 12hrs before applying 2nd coat same way as 1st coat you will be good to go.

are you saying use 21 (is that meg`s) instead of the #7??

the reason i ask is because i was mostly concerned to find out about the polishes mentioned above and not sealants/waxes

thanks though

mongo
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Also you might try Danase Speed Glaze wets the paint like Meg`s # 7 but is acrylic/polymer hiobrid you can LSP over. Has slight abrasives cleaner in it but very slight you can put over a sealant as well then put LSP on top again.

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Derrick

well, i will replace #9 with #82, and keep #80 but follow it up with #82 if necessary

reason for that is i heard #9 has fillers, more than others if others do too, and #82 also finishes better than #9

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 02:09 PM
lecchilo- FWIW I don`t use Meg`s stuff before AIO, instead I use polishes that don`t leave anything behind. With Meg`s stuff, the AIO cleans off the "trade secret oils" and often reveals hidden, residual marring. I use stuff like the Meg`s products under carnaubas (you can use them under other Meguiar`s LSPs too but I don`t use those).

Sorta-random thoughts on some of the products you mentioned follow:

#82 is just a slightly different version of #9, different abrasives of a more uniform nature that`re better on clearcoats than the old-school abrasives in #9.

#80 can be a tiny bit too abrasive on some very soft paints.

If #2 is working for you I don`t see any reason to switch to #83.

Don`t try stuff like #84 without a rotary, it`s not PC/hand friendly.

#3 is a functionally nonabrasive "pure polish". Same with #7 which is sorta a richer/slightly different version of the same kind of stuff. #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2...all pretty much alike. I`d be astounded if KSG bonded to #7 (which I do like under carnaubas on single stage paint).

Meguiar`s hates it when people say "fillers" but in my experience all the polishes you mentioned (at least the ones I`ve tried) do a fair amount of, well, let`s say "concealing". It`s the "trade secret oils" or something...but in my experience it *does* do some hiding.

AIO is a potent (chemical, hardly abrasive at all) paint cleaner that provides some minimal protection. KSG is a sealant. KSG bonds well to AIO but not to many other products.

I`d go with polishes from Hi-Temp, Menzerna/BlackFire, and others long before I`d choose Meguiar`s...and I have the Meguiar`s stuff on the shelf and I used it for years so I`m speaking from first-hand experience. If you like it, cool, many do...but not me.

great info, thanks for the reply... i will definitely replace #9 with #82 and keep #2 since i like it so much

klasse has worked great for me after meg`s but i will definitely try to change it up and use meg`s finishers after their polishers, and use other polishes before klasse

what do you think of poorboy`s or 3m products before klasse?? i really want to try and hear great things about the poorboy`s line of polishes, since it has a nice variety of cutting power and also finishes good

thanks again

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Also you might try Danase Speed Glaze wets the paint like Meg`s # 7 but is acrylic/polymer hiobrid you can LSP over. Has slight abrasives cleaner in it but very slight you can put over a sealant as well then put LSP on top again.

what`s LSP ?

94BlkStang
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
what`s LSP ?

Last Step Product (sealant or wax).

Bigpoppa3346
09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
what do you think of poorboy`s or 3m products before klasse??

From what I hear, both the 3M and Poorboys do light filling, so it wouldn`t be any real benifit to use those over the Meg`s. Try some Menzerna or Optimum, both leave great finishes(I think Menzerna leaves the best), as both of those have NO fillers or don`t do hardly any filling.

scout
09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
[quote name=`Accumulator`]

#7 (which I do like under carnaubas on single stage paint).

/QUOTE]

Meguiars, Mosca I think, and others have said something like "use #7 on single stage, #81 on base/clearcoat". Would you or anyone please explain this, in terms of the final appearance? (I can`t see any difference.)

#7 is brown, and I think it has brown oils in it.

#81 is grey, and I think its oils are clear.

I`m guessing that #7 is a little more opaque, and decreases clarity, sitting on top of a cc.

I found both very easy to use.

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
From what I hear, both the 3M and Poorboys do light filling, so it wouldn`t be any real benifit to use those over the Meg`s. Try some Menzerna or Optimum, both leave great finishes(I think Menzerna leaves the best), as both of those have NO fillers or don`t do hardly any filling.

no no, i meant 3m or poorboy`s instead of meg`s not over it haha

i meant those 2 before klasse... i guess i`ll try menzerna soon

thanks