PDA

View Full Version : Marring from washing or drying?

Pages : [1] 2

74 thing
09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
How do you tell if the marring is coming from your washing mitt or drying towel? I am using ONR so it is wipe on with a mitt and then dry off with a WW. I noticed slight marring today and I just polished out everything last weekend with Menzerna 106/RMG on a rotary with a green excel P2 pad. I am just trying to determine what I am doing wrong-using two buckets with gentle almost no pressure. Thanks for any suggestions.

jamesuh
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
My guess is the mitt

StudlyJ
09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
You could wash with up and down motions and dry with side to side motions and see if you can`t isolate the problem

74 thing
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I still cannot figure out if this was marring and I missed it when I poliched last week or I just caused it with the mitt or the WW. I was using a Meguiars synethitic mitt, maybe I need to get a good sheepskin one.

the other pc
09-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Follow StudlyJ`s plan on a section of the paint that`s easy to inspect thoroughly.

PC.

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, do as StudlyJ suggested.

FWIW, I`d bet it`s the wash and *I* wouldn`t be using a synthetic mitt like that...from Meguiar`s or anybody else.

imported_416 Auto
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I am not familiar with the Menzerna line. Was the polish bodyshop safe or did it contain silicone. Sometimes if you use a silicone based wax or polish the WW will mar the polish not so much the clearcoat. We use a silicone based wax sometimes and if you press a little to hard while drying the marring will show. Usually a little of the same polish on a pad will fix up the marks.

Mach30SiR
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
the RMG`s filling properties might be deminishing.

74 thing
09-23-2006, 11:59 PM
You guys were right-it was the synthetic was mitt-I tossed it in the garbage and got a sheepskin mitt and all is well. Thanks.

jamesuh
09-24-2006, 12:39 AM
no problem

joe.p
09-24-2006, 02:24 AM
My guess is the mitt

I would think your right ,i noticed lite marring after wahing just after using a SMR. I use a FG Cobra Guzzler ,sheepskin mitt. the marring was light itpolished out when i step down to a finer polish.

That being said what can be done to lessen it . I use FG at 2 bucket method 2 grit guards etc. Sorry im not hijacking your thread but i think a solution or answers can help the 2 of us..

Accumulator
09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
74 thing- Glad you found the problem. This isn`t the first time that Meg`s synthetic mitt has messed up somebody`s car, I sure wish they`d quit selling them. Doesn`t help my opinion of Meguiar`s any when they sell stuff like that :(

I am not familiar with the Menzerna line. Was the polish bodyshop safe or did it contain silicone..

Menzerna polishes are bodyshop safe. They`re one of the few polish lines my Jag`s painter has in his shop and he`s a fanatic about keeping silicones out of there.

Mark77
09-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Which synthetic mitt was it ? I have the Ultra Plush and it`s wonderful, never any marring from it. I think the problem might be the dirt on the mitt, not the mitt itself.

MorBid
09-27-2006, 05:20 AM
I`d like to know the answer to that as well. Here`s (http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Car%20Detailing%20Acc essories%3ECar%20Washing%20Tools&sectionID=22101) a link listing all Meg`s wash accessories.

I use the Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt and waffle weave`s for drying. While the poster stated he solved the probelm already making further discussion on his point mute, I don`t think it`s always the mitt.

I think the only way to really tell is by following `ol StudlyJ`s sugguestion.

MorBid
09-27-2006, 05:27 AM
I`d like to know the answer to that as well. Here`s (http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Car%20Detailing%20Acc essories%3ECar%20Washing%20Tools&sectionID=22101) a link listing all Meg`s wash accessories.

I use the Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt and waffle weave`s for drying. While the poster stated he solved the probelm already making further discussion on his point mute, I don`t think it`s always the mitt.

I think the only way to really tell is by following `ol StudlyJ`s sugguestion.