PDA

View Full Version : AIO/SG on Black Aluminum

dalemccl
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
My 2 month old vehicle has aluminum roof rails. They are silver colored except at the ends where they are flat black. The black part is showing swirl marks and/or scratches, probably as a result of washing with a mitt that had grit stuck in it. They are not deep.

The red paint also has minor flaws so I plan to claybar the car, then apply AIO and SG to the paint. Can I also use the AIO on the black aluminum to try to remove or fill the swirl marks?

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
In my experience most of the black aluminum parts are anodized...any marring is there to stay :( But the Klasse twins will at least provide some good protection.

If the black is *paint* then a mild polish (something more abrasive than AIO) oughta fix it right up. I`d probably try the AIO and see it you get any paint transfer...if not then I`d assume it`s anodized.

Generally, AIO doesn`t correct or hide any marring...I think of it as a chemical paint cleaner.

dalemccl
09-22-2006, 01:12 PM
In my experience most of the black aluminum parts are anodized...any marring is there to stay :( But the Klasse twins will at least provide some good protection.

If the black is *paint* then a mild polish (something more abrasive than AIO) oughta fix it right up. I`d probably try the AIO and see it you get any paint transfer...if not then I`d assume it`s anodized.

Generally, AIO doesn`t correct or hide any marring...I think of it as a chemical paint cleaner.

Thanks. I`ll try the Klasse and see what happens, and if by chance it is paint, I`ll try a mild polish.