PDA

View Full Version : process

lburna8484
09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I`ll be detailing two cars. One with barely any swirls and another that looks like it`s been washed with a bath towl dipped in dish washing detergent and dryed with a bath towel, swirls everywhere! :sadpace: since this is my first detail can you guys recommend me some supplies.

my process

wheels- meguiars hot rims all wheel cleaner. whats a good tire protectant with a matte look?

wash- meguiars gold class car shampoo. what should i apply with? meguairs gold class sheep skin mitt?

dry- chamois

clay- meguiars smooth surface clay kit

wash and dry again

polish- meguiars 3 step or #7. what would be better for a begginer?

wax- meguiars 3rd step or #26 or nxt. " "

buffing- microfiber towels

windows- rain-x. does this stuff really work?

leather- lexol cleaner and conditioner

whats a good carpet cleaner and dash protectant?

any sites that have these products for cheap? i can`t seem to find meguiars professional line in stores. :mad:

1984 JPS
09-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I have used rainx and I think its great, not only does it deffinatly help out in the rain especially with older cars with old crappy wipers but it also seems to make the glass clearer. Id get some

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I`ll be detailing two cars. One with barely any swirls and another that looks like it`s been washed with a bath towl dipped in dish washing detergent and dryed with a bath towel, swirls everywhere! :sadpace: since this is my first detail can you guys recommend me some supplies.

my process

wheels- meguiars hot wheels cleaner. whats a good tire protectant with a matte look?

wash- meguiars gold class car shampoo. what should i apply with? meguairs sheep skin mitt?

dry- chamois

clay- meguiars smooth surface clay kit

wash and dry again

polish- meguiars 3 step or #7. what would be better for a begginer?

wax- meguiars 3rd step or #26 or nxt. " "

buffing- microfiber towels

windows- rain-x. does this stuff really work?

leather- lexol cleaner and conditioner

whats a good carpet cleaner and dash protectant?

any sites that have these products for cheap? i can`t seem to find meguiars professional line in stores. :mad:

as far as polish... i think #7 is way off since that`s a glaze and should be used as a finishing product... i think you`d be better off getting some other meg`s products such as

speed glaze (#80)

swirl remover 2.0 (#9),

machine Glaze (#3)

i think that`s good for starters since they`re not too abrasive and won`t ruin your paint (speed glaze is the most abrasive and you should be more careful with it)

i`m assuming you plan on using a PC?? anyway, the rest of your list sounds good because there are many products for leather, windows etc... so people will suggest stuff and you should listen and maybe try out next time, but for now, if you already have those supplies, go with it

either way though, #7 isn`t a polish so you`d need either the stuff i mentioned or some other polish... 3M, poorboys etc...

hope this makes sense

good luck and have fun detailing

lburna8484
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
1984 JPS- is rain-x a sealant? if not, should i apply wax over it?

lecchilo- should i get all those products and layer them or just stick to one then seal it? Do you think the professional line is ok for begginers to use or should i just stick to meguiars 3 step?

thanks for all the replies! hope to hear fomr you guys again!

imported_Ivan Rajic
09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
1984 JPS- is rain-x a sealant? if not, should i apply wax over it?

lecchilo- should i get all those products and layer them or just stick to one then seal it? Do you think the professional line is ok for begginers to use or should i just stick to meguiars 3 step?

thanks for all the replies! hope to hear fomr you guys again!

you didn`t answer me... you`re using an orbital right??

if so, i think the professional line products are fine but you need to start out with the least abrasive polish and least abrasive pad... the products i mentioned are just something i use (well some of the products i use) but there are others out there from other manufacturers

as far as layering... you will see yourself what you need to do as far as polishing after a more abrasive polish.... you can`t layer the products i mentioned because they`re just polishes and you will need to seal them after... you should start with the swirl remover #9 and a pad like lake country white pad... if that doesn`t remove the swirls/scratches or whatever you have, go up to #80 with a white pad or keep #9 and move to a yellow pad, which will give you a little more abrasive stuff to work with...

you`ll see what i`m talking about once you start doing all this so don`t feel confused now... best thing to do now is buy good pads and use a PC

msg me on ivo328i on aim if you want to talk faster than the forum haha

does this make sense? ?