PDA

View Full Version : sealant /wax for high mile daily driver

blert
09-21-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey all-

Long time lurker/info sponge, first time poster....

Recently purchased a 2003 Crown Victoria PI as one of my daily drivers. Has been repainted (over two months ago) and am soon looking to finally seal and wax the paint. It is normal for me to drive up to 150 miles a day- 99% highway but about half of that is thru farmland so there are days when the front of whatever vehicle is drive is COVERED in bugs, etc.

The paint itself is in 99.99999% just painted condition and is swirl and scratch free. I feel that a polish won`t be necessary. Will thoroughly wash and clay bar the car before I start the process. The intention is to have a hard-as-nails sealer and then follow up with a few layers of what you would feel to be the best bulletproof/longest lasting wax that would hold up to weekly or bi-weekly washings. What I`m looking for is some real world input as to what you all have used to achieve the desired effect. Other notes:

Paint is black, so products that would be best for depth, warmth

All products will be applied/ taken off by hand

A quality QD spray that would go with reccomended products would be appreciated as well.

And if the products that you reccomend could be purchased at one website instead of 2-3 that would be most cool.

BTW- did try the search function but was unhappy with results.

Thanks for your input!!!

imported_Dave KG
09-21-2006, 07:14 AM
My personal choice for a black car, at a reasonable price, would be first of all Meguiars #7 Show Car Gaze for a lovely deep looking wet look shine. Then top this off with Collinite 476S, as for a high mile daily driver this wax offers a nice shine on top of the #7 and also offers excellent durability.

For a QD, I use Meguiars Last Touch as I can buy it in 5 gallon sizes. Excellent QD, very slick which makes it a great safe clay lube, and I also use it as a drying aid by spraying onto wet rinsed paintwork and then wiping with a waffleweave towel. Helps prevent scratching and adds a "just-waxed" look as well. :)

Accumulator
09-21-2006, 11:06 AM
blert- Welcome to Autopia!

Nice choice of cars, I`m a fan of the P71 Crown Vics.

If by "just painted condition" you mean it`s been recently repainted, then you oughta wait for the paint to finish curing/outgassing, which takes 3-4 months (baked or not). That`s straight from the paint manufacturers. If that`s the case...gee, you have a problem as unprotected paint (or paint protected by just a glaze) will suffer from all the bugs/etc. so I`d probably go against all my usual advice (which is "wait") and try the supposedly fresh-paint-safe sealant from FK or Zaino. After the wait period I`d consider switching to the following:

If the paint`s not fresh I`d do a variation on Dave KG`s advice (and this is just a personal prefernce difference). I too would skip the sealant- you`ll be stripping whatever you put on there to deal with bugs etc. anyhow, or at least redoing it often enough that a wax like the Collinite 476S will work great. That`s what I use on a number of our drivers. Rather than the #7 (which I like and use on single stage paint), I`d get a different Meg`s "pure polish" that`s more user-friendly- #3/#5 (my favorite, maybe the easiest product I`ve ever used)/#81/Deep Crystal step #2. The 476S will seal it in and give great protection.

And yeah, work on the wash (get a foamgun ;) ) and dry so you don`t scratch it up.

And enjoy racking up the miles on that thing! :D

Dingwire
09-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Collinite for the durablity wax and KlasseAIO for the sealant. Like tootsie roll works good lasts a longtime

FidoAUTO
09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
You dont have to wait that long to apply a sealant.... go ahead.

btw...my choice is Zaino.

Thomas Dekany
09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
for max protection: FK1 #2180 topped with FK1 #1000.

imported_bpfoley
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I like Collinite IW845 topped with Duragloss AquaWax, good lasting protection and great looks. (my car is black as well)

wannafbody
09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Zaino on fresh paint- HANDS DOWN

imported_bpfoley
09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Zaino on fresh paint- HANDS DOWN

OP said "high mileage daily driver"