PDA

View Full Version : Detailing tips for 99 Vette.

edonthenet
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
My friend is coming over this weekend to detail his car. I`ll be doing the outside, he`s doing the inside, he`s helping me rebuild my shed floor and he`s buying the beer :hifive:

The reason for this is he loves the way I keep my car, an 06 GTO. I use Klasse on it about every other month, wash it with NXT, and keep up on any flaws I get.

My question is, as his Vette is black and has been cleaned via carwash for the past 3 years (apartment dweller) how aggresive can I get on his paint? I have some swirl remover products and some stiffer pads, but my main concern is the paint hardness. My GTO`s paint is really soft & thin, so I never use anything more than my PC on it.

Is the Vette paint any better than what I`m used to?

Thanks for any help.

ZaneO
09-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Vette clear is really hard and takes a pretty good amount of time to correct via PC.

What polishes and pads do you have?

imported_themightytimmah
09-20-2006, 10:47 PM
It`s one of the hardest factory clearcoats - people are beating up on it with a yellow pad/HT Extreme Cut/1700RPM on a rotary and not even getting all the marring out.

IMHO, via PC on black that hard you`re really looking at hiding marring more than knocking it out. I`d highly consider picking up Clearkote`s Red Moose Machine Glaze and hitting the car with your most abrasive polish on an orange pad, then something moderate like OCP on a polishing pad, then RMG on a black pad @speed 4, top with a heavy carnuba like Blitz or Natty`s Blue.

I wouldn`t go the Klasse route under any circumstances, honestly I think it would take me a full day`s work via rotary to make a black vette that gets tunnel washed look decent under AIO and SG.

gmblack3
09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Pretty much you are gonna need a rotary to do any serious correction on corvette clear.

TGates
09-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Swirlbuster polish is your friend!! It`s pretty much all I can use on my `04 that doesn`t cause it to laugh at me.

edonthenet
09-21-2006, 11:16 AM
What polishes and pads do you have?

I have a container of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and a few different pads, although the colors I don`t remember, they`re kind of faded from use. Not black but the next softer one, then the next soft and a blue really soft one, hehe. Sorry, but I`m not a pro so I don`t know the lingo.

ZaneO
09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
You`re probably going to need more than that.