PDA

View Full Version : #^@!(&#)*# Karcher Electric PW

Pages : [1] 2

MorBid
09-20-2006, 08:30 PM
K, I`m pretty pissed now. I got a Karcher 3.97M electric PW from Sears last fall (or end of summer) and by spring it wasn`t working right (the dreaded cycling issue). So Karcher sent me another one under thier Rapid Exchange program.

Well fine by the end this summer that one is doing the same thing. I called them up and they said there is nothing they can do for me becuase I`m now out of warranty except refer me to the local Service Centers. Of which the only one who will work on it is like a kazillion miles from my house.

I`m going on holidays to Toronto in a few weeks and just brought a new laptop so I wasn`t in the mood to buy another PW (esp another cheapie electric one) so I decided to try and fix it myself. I figured if I can tear down and rebuild Carbuerators and other parts of the engine I should get this.

I located a place on the net called Pressure Parts (http://www.pressureparts.com) and they sell OEM parts for just about every Karcher (electric and gas) there is, among other manufactuer/models.

They have the real parts diagrams there too, so after looking at that and talking to thier support guy (Jeff, who is a real great guy) I figured I could handle replacing the pump.

I had the PW broken down in 10 minutes and the pump off the motor in about 10 more. I`m waiting for the spare part kits that make up a new pump (should be here monday).

Here`s some other interesting things these folks (as well as other repiar facilities) have told me about Karcher Electric PW`s.

1) Karcher is a big name in PW`s and has been since 1950 or so. But the quality of the electric PW`s is poor because they are made in Mexico and China with plastic parts for pumps. This was the result of them starting to sell at big box stores.

2) The best Electric PW Karcher makes (from a repairman`s stand point) is the 5.20M which has a direct-Drive Axial Aluminum Pump. They also cost about $100.00 more than the other one`s you see at Lowes, HD, or Sears.

3) They are not made for continous use and when designed they are not expected to last over a year with normal use.

Hopefully this thing will last me the winter after it`s repaired. Then I`m going to get a gas operated one (Craftsman Clean and Carry maybe). One reason I wanted to keep this one is I like the variable wand idea, and I have purchased a second wand that bends (up to 90 degrees) which has proved invaluable when washing the car in the garage.

Morbid

Grimm
09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
That`s what we have these days with this global marketplace and Walmart economy. Everyone wants good stuff at cheap prices, so companies have to start getting cheap crap from China/Mexico to compete at the low prices. I won`t buy any product of any value that has China or some similar name on it. I work at a manufacturing company, and I`ve been told that even steel products are inferior because they are using crap steel compared to our standards here.

imported_themightytimmah
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
You see a lot of that these days, a company with a long reputation of great machines sells out and builds plastic crap for Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I`ve got a McCulloch chainsaw and it`s the same story.

MorBid
09-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks you guys for chimming in on those subjects. I was going to voice the same opinions but the post was too long already. It`s all really sad actually. I don`t think there is any quality in Consumer Brand products any more. Least not at the Big Box Stores.

Accumulator
09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
MorBid- You`re Karcher experiences mirror mine..I`m hoping that there`s some industry-standard on the hoses so I can use my Karcher hose/accessories on whatver PW I buy next.

EBPcivicsi
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I got 18 months out of a HUSKY, I am on a KARCHER right now--if it last me until this time next year, I will be *really* happy. I think next time I am just going to buy an electric HOTSY--they just opened up a local distributor...

LastDetail
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
OP can you explain what you mean by the "dreaded cycling issue?" I too have a electric PW and I am wondering what I should be on the lookout for. Thanks

MorBid
09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Accumulator:

I`m not sure of that, it`s the connectors that might be a probelm. You`ll have to see. I`ve been looking at some of the Karcher Commerical one`s. They have longer warranties and can run 115/230V or gas. But the wand and the hose aren`t the same.

LastDetail:

The "Dreaded Cycling" I was talking about is this. You start up the pressure washer (cold) and it builds up pressure. When the preset pressure is built up the motor is supposed to shut off and not come on again till you pull the tigger on the wand. But instead of shutting off, the pump/motor starts to surge (sounds like rrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmp, rrrrrrmmmmmmmmmpppppp) like it`s going on and off. It usually stops when you keep the trigger pulled.

That`s cycling. It`s shutting down the on, down the on, and keeps doing that.

It can be from a leak at a connection (causing the pump to suck air), the pressure switch is malfunctioning, or the pump housing (or something in the pump) has failed and is causing the machine to suck air.

wicho661
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Are gas powered PS`ers not an option?

MorBid
09-22-2006, 06:15 AM
It might be, I always wash my car in the garage so I`d be worried about fumes and the carbon monoxide

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I dunno who makes the gas engines for Karcher PWs, but mine has all sorts of trouble starting...worst gas engine I`ve ever had, utterly unrealiable.

MorBid
09-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Accumulator:

Is this (http://www.karchercommercial.com/showProductModels.aspx?special=true&areaID=12&typeID=26&seriesID=194) the one you have? I`m thinking about that one or maybe this (http://www.karchercommercial.com/showProductModels.aspx?special=true&areaID=12&typeID=27&seriesID=123) one.

Morbid

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
MorBid- Nah, all my Karchers are a lot older than that...those you linked to look downright space-age compared to mine :D

That`d be a drag if my hose wouldn`t screw onto a better PW...I`d have to get my gas one serviced for the umpteenth time :rolleyes: The PW itself seems to work OK, it`s just the engine...or maybe it`s never run long enough for the pump to get any real use.

MorBid
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah it would sorta suck. Look into it b4 buying (as if I needed to tell you that) :)

Mattz280
09-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I dunno who makes the gas engines for Karcher PWs, but mine has all sorts of trouble starting...worst gas engine I`ve ever had, utterly unrealiable.

My Karcher has a 5.5hp Honda motor and is probably the best starting small motor I have. Mine is a 4 stroke with electric ignition...runs perfect.

I did have to have the pump replaced, but that is because I left it in the garage over winter time and some water that was still in it froze.

Maybe check your spark plug. It could be damaged or fouled.