PDA

View Full Version : Where to get proper lights - halogen or xenon?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Lightman
09-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I`ve looked at both home depots and lowes` websites, and none of them have much in the way of work lights. It seems almost everyone here has the double halogen or xenon lights on some sort of stand, that they are able to shoot at a panel and show swirls/corrections... where are you guys getting these?? Thx

Kinda funny that a guy in the lighting business is asking this question eh? :) We are only residential though ;)

qballjr13
09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I`ve looked at both home depots and lowes` websites, and none of them have much in the way of work lights. It seems almost everyone here has the double halogen or xenon lights on some sort of stand, that they are able to shoot at a panel and show swirls/corrections... where are you guys getting these?? Thx

Kinda funny that a guy in the lighting business is asking this question eh? :) We are only residential though ;)

These are similar to the ones I have...they keep you warm too! Mine go up to 1200 watts though. Just go to the stores, they all carry lights like that. Try Sears too.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=22565-290-HDS1000&lpage=none

imported_Lightman
09-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Nice, thanks...not sure how I missed that on their site. I would prefer xenon to halogen as they are much cooler but that will work and the price isn`t too bad.. thx.

velobard
09-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I got mine at Harbor Freight. I think Sears has some for nearly the same price I paid, around $25-30.

I also recently bought a 1.25 million candle-power twin-beam halogen portable flashlight similar to the Brinkmann that`s mentioned here occasionally. I found mine at Big Lots for $13. It`s shaped roughly like a pistol with a trigger switch.

imported_Lightman
09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I have a 3 million candlepower spotlight that I have for camping and whatever, however when I tried it in the garage on a panel of paint, the reflection was so bright I think I blinked for a half hour...wow, bad idea!

tom p.
09-20-2006, 06:18 PM
You can buy a setup like this for less than $20 at Pepboi, etc.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/New_Lamp_1.JPG

Accumulator
09-20-2006, 06:37 PM
When it comes to the halogens, I kinda prefer my cheapie one over my fancier (and much more expensive) Sears one. Must be some difference in the reflectors or something, but I just see stuff like marring better with the cheap one, and it`s a crappy, used and abused thing that makes Tom P.`s unit look really fancy and high-end. So I don`t think I`d automatically go with something fancy and expensive.

Where are you folks getting your Brinkman/Xenon lights these days? It`s about the only kind of lighting I have yet to acquire (nah, I`m not getting metal halides) so maybe I`ll look into one.

Joshua312
09-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Where are you folks getting your Brinkman/Xenon lights these days? It`s about the only kind of lighting I have yet to acquire (nah, I`m not getting metal halides) so maybe I`ll look into one.

Here (http://www.autobarn.net/bkm800-2200.html) you go sir!

BigAl3
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM

for round $25-$30... you get that, plus a fluorescent worklight and light clamp!

Sirslap2
09-20-2006, 07:18 PM

Pop a sand bag or sumtin on that tripod.

How many times people have said their PC cord yanked the tripod down on their car :mad:

35TH LE
09-21-2006, 01:35 AM
You can find the Brinkman dual Xenon at Pepboys for about $30. Thats where I got mine.

edit-

Oops.. I didnt read the whole post. :o Didnt notice you wanted a light and stand dealio.

Accumulator
09-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the Brinkman sources, saved me some searching around. The painter who`s working on the Jag swears by his.

imported_Lightman
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I guess it doesn`t have to have a stand and could be xenon instead of halogen..I don`t really have a preference there aside from knowing xenon burns a lot cooler than halogens.. As far as having a stand goes - I guess that`s not completely necessary either, and would save garage space to just have the portable/hand held. I guess i was just a little leary after nearly blinding myself with the 3 million candlepower spotlight I tried. Are these brinkmann`s not blindingly bright?

Accumulator
09-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I`d think of the Brinkmans as being a detailing-useful type of flashlight.

The halogens on stands make for good general illumination when polishing. Not the *best* IMO for spotting marring, and yeah they get hot, but they`re good overall lights for that specific task. Just turn them off and use something else (I use high-wattage incandescents) for final inspections.

I often had unpleasant discoveries at night under certain lighting (gas stations, parking lots) until I started using the incandescents.

I`d get a halogen on a stand and the Brinkman and see if that shows everything. My local Lowe`s had the high-wattage-rated incandescent work lights (cheap, awful looking things but they work for this application) for about $25. I use a 300W bulb in mine but Bill D uses 200W and says that works fine.

Whatever you use, you gotta play around with the illumination angle and distance, and also your viewing angle, until you find what shows the flaws the best. On colors like silver it can be a royal pain.

see_otter
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi all,

This is the work light that I got for myself a couple of weeks ago. I did a lot of searching and I thought this one would meet my needs the best. Notice that the lights are detachable and ride on their own stand, or you can use the tripod. I found it useful to detach when I am working on side panels or detailing wheel wells/ suspension, and it keeps my butt warm! Accumulator is right in saying that while these type of lights do work well, you dont really see all the defects. I am going to get a brinkman this weekend to help out with that!

This light can be found at Meijer for around $30 and seems a little bit better built than some of the others in this price range... notice how the lights detach and are on their own stand.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/jgriesinger_2006/DSC03279.jpg