PDA

View Full Version : Steam safe for leather?

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
09-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey guys , thinking about buying a steamer and was seeing that alot of you use them on leather seating surfaces, and vinyl. I was wondering if this is safe for the leather and if you are drying it out? ALso do the ones who do use it do it with the microfiber attached? Thanks for the help.

autoprincess
09-20-2006, 12:42 PM
yes steam cleaners work good for cleaning leather and yes a mircofiber attatched at the end will help, it is what helps absorb/lift the dirt. you can also use a terry cloth rag, but you might have a lint problem. i`ve seen some amazing results with a steam cleaner. but i can do the same results without it (saved my money instead).

imported_Grouse
09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
like everything there is a possibility of damage, Knowing everything you can about the specific leather will help avoid problems.

imported_smprince1
09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I have used steam to clean leather with no apparent damage. Use a little common sense and you should be fine.

Jordan@DD
09-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Vapor steamers seem like the way to go. I have my eye on that Daimer one.

David Fermani
09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Couldn`t the steam loosen or damage some leather items. I`ve seen some instances where the colored part of the leather was peeling from the hide. Couldn`t steam promote this effect. I recently looked at an Infinity where the leather was peeling off the interior door trim panels.

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
09-21-2006, 12:53 AM
There seems to be an ongoing theme, kinda like is a rotary bad for paint? Only if you dont know what you are doing. SO I gues that goes for steaming as well, learning curve on!

-