PDA

View Full Version : detailing advise

socommatthews
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
hi guys hows it goin.im a newbie to this forum so forgive my ignorance.ive done a search and didnt really find anything so here i go.any help is greatly appreciated.

alright right now i usually wash,clay bar,then put on a coat of TR-3 resin.now the resin protects great.for ex. ive got a 1" spot on my hood were a bird **** and it left a spot after baking in the sun but the same thing happened after using the TR-3 and it just wiped off.but im concerned now because im not sure the resin is clear coat safe so id rather not use it anymore so i wanted to know what would give me good protection?i bought some Meguires #26 high tech yellow wax,is that any good?on sat. i plan on washing,using Meguires paint cleaner, turtle wax polish,and the #29 but do i need to do anything to get the TR-3 off?i was just going to wash w/dawn unless anybody has any suggestions.sorry for the long post(and yes i have an orbital buffer)

Accumulator
09-20-2006, 10:48 AM
socommatthews- Welcome to Autopia!

I haven`t thought about TR-3 for ages, a friend of mine swore by it back in the `70s. I absolutely would *NOT* worry about it being clearcoat safe. If it`s working for you I`d just keep using it. Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish is something I use all the time and it works great on clearcoats. Resins in polishes won`t hurt anything. I dunno if it contains any abrasives that you oughta be worried about, but I somehow doubt it. What I`d do is use it sparingly and put a wax over top of it, then just redo the wax from time to time.

Meg`s #26 is a nice OTC wax, gives great depth and darkening/richening on colors like black and red. But it`s not known for great durability and I dunno how well it`ll protect either. A better choice would be a wax like 476S or 845 (both from Collinite) which are known for their protective abilities and their durability.

I`d be more concerned about the TW brand polish, which might be too abrasive for a fine finish (no first-hand experience though).

The Meguiar`s cleaner (you mean the Deep Crystal step #1, right?) will clean any existing products off the paint. But I`d consider just wash/clay/DC#1/TR-3 and maybe put some Collinite wax over top of the TR-3. When you`re happy with what you`re doing I wouldn`t be in a hurry to change it ;)

White95Max
09-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Hmm...I just responded to your thread on the Mazda forum. Welcome to Autopia! :wavey

socommatthews
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
lol yes i figured id try both and see what responces i got.im up for as much addvise as i can get.i hear about all these waxes ive never heard of(collinite,P21S,Klasse,ect)but i like stuff i can just go to Oreilly or something and pick up some more.plus every time i see something new out and i try it it sucks,im sure thats not the case w/these but...if i could get those somewhere around here i would def try it.i just got some 3M hand glaze,is that a polish?it dosnt say.if so then i wont use the TW polish comp.(its white and very smooth so i dont think its abbrasive)ill just use the deep crystal paint cleaner,3M,then top w/ #26 wax.

imported_Yal
09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
lol yes i figured id try both and see what responces i got.im up for as much addvise as i can get.i hear about all these waxes ive never heard of(collinite,P21S,Klasse,ect)but i like stuff i can just go to Oreilly or something and pick up some more.plus every time i see something new out and i try it it sucks,im sure thats not the case w/these but...if i could get those somewhere around here i would def try it.i just got some 3M hand glaze,is that a polish?it dosnt say.if so then i wont use the TW polish comp.(its white and very smooth so i dont think its abbrasive)ill just use the deep crystal paint cleaner,3M,then top w/ #26 wax.

You can get P21s at a local Harley Davidson or motorcycle store if you have one around you. It will be called S100. Collinite 845 can be found at a marine store if you have one around you (call ahead though cause some don`t) and is called 925 boat wax there.

socommatthews
09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
yea theres one down the street.ill give it a try,thanks.

Wasatch
09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I remember using TR-3 Resin Glaze on my 240Z in the early-mid 80s. Pretty nice stuff easy on and came off like dust, could leave on for hours.

Accumulator
09-21-2006, 11:42 AM
i just got some 3M hand glaze,is that a polish?it dosnt say..

The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is sorta like Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #2..it`s nonabrasive, just oils and solvents. It hides some light flaws but that`s about all it does. I`d just skip it myself but if you want to use it put it on after all the other product but right before the wax (so it`s the penultimate product, the next-to-last) just like you planned.

You can order Collinite direct LINK (http://www.collinite.com) if you can`t find it locally. They guys there are very friendly and helpful, but call, don`t e-mail (they never seem to get online).

socommatthews
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
well i found the S100 at the harley shop but i was not impressed.it had the same ingredients (eccept for the beeswax) as the #26 and didnt say anything about protection,just really high gloss shine.im all about shine but more about protection.if you buff it enough you can get a good shine out of any wax pretty much imo.im gonna try a couple boat shops since i live right by the lake and try to find the 925 boat wax (collinite)

socommatthews
09-23-2006, 10:18 AM
well i went out and got some of that S100 from the harley shop and that stuff is awsome.come off like nothing was even on there.so easy in fact that im curious to see how good the protection is gonna be.thanks for telling me about it.