PDA

View Full Version : Rubber window surround detailing

Taubs
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

At the weekend, I detailed the rubbers surrounding my windows with PB Natural look. Now we have had some light rain, they have gone "spotty" where the water droplets were sat.

If I rub them, the spots disappear, however, is there a product which will protect those items without this "spotting" issue?

Thanks in Advance

Accumulator
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Disclaimer: just because something works for me that doesn`t guarantee that it`s a good idea for anybody else.

Some, *but not all* rubber surrounds respond very well to being cleaned with products like AIO and then protected with LSPs. I`ve been doing this on my Jag for a good 20+ years with no problems and I just put Collinite 845 on the surrounds of my previously abused beater-Blazer. This does *not* work very well on the rubber side window surrounds of my Audis.

As for the more conventional dressing-type approach, I like Autoglym`s Bumper Care and, for less severe situations, Wurth Rubber Care (aerosol, I spray it on a cloth and wipe it on). These seem to hold up well, even in bad weather even if they don`t last all *that* long.

But I`ve come to prefer the first method if it works on the specific vehicle. People warned me that "the petroleum distillates will degrade the rubber" but it hasn`t happened and the Jag`s a pretty good long-term test case.