PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches where I can`t get an orbital to `em...

Scott inHouston
09-18-2006, 11:04 PM
What is the best product to use?

I`ve had good luck filling them in with 3M hand glaze and waxing over the top with a good carnuba, but for these, I may try something to get them out.

I know it`s hard to remove scratches when you can`t use an orbital, so what would you guys suggest?

FYI, it`s an `05 Lotus if that matters. The color is a royal blue.

benvegas
09-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I`ve seen the lotus in blue as you speak of (fun car too, it`s like a go kart for adults). The blue is a tough one, and the lotus` curves make it especially tricky because with curves as that car has everything -- especially light swirls -- show very much.

Find a VERY light polish. If you find one that is acrylica based and does some sealing at the same time you`ll be quite pleased with the results. Great approach for any dark-ish colored car.

LastDetail
09-19-2006, 01:32 AM
I don`t know if the guy above me read your entire post, I think what you are asking is how to polish an area where you can`t get your polisher into? Like a tight crevice or something? You can always polish by hand, I like to use a moistened terry cloth towel and Scratch-X for those hard to reach areas.

Although I have never tried to use any of my polishes by hand (SSRs, OP, DP) I am sure that they would work, it just takes a lot longer than it does with the buffer. In the end though it makes you appreciate your PC or your rotary that much more.

Scott inHouston
09-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks. You`re right. It`s on the back shelf on the engine cover. I`ll try and get a pic today of the area. It`s too tight and too many crevices to use a rotary.

So scratch-X can work by hand? I`ll give it a try. I`ve had a tube in my garage for years, but never have used it.

My solution in the past has been 3m hand glaze and then a carnuba, usually blitz wax. This didn`t do anything, but fill in the scratches so they became invisible, but it was the least aggressive approach I could take and as long as you can`t see them, well, that`s the real goal right? :)

Now I`m using Rejex on the car, and I don`t think I can put a glaze on first because the Rejex wouldn`t bond appropriately.

imported_Dave KG
09-19-2006, 08:10 AM
If Lotus cars in the USA are anything like Lotus cars in the UK, then the paint is diamond hard! Something like ScratchX by hand I reckon is going to struggle I`m afraid. I would personally go for Menzerna Intensive Polish applied by hand using the polishing side of a German applicator pad (red, yellow and black Sonus ones). This will give you more bits and more chance on very hard paint... Very small areas at a time and thoroughly work in the product with medium pressure, plenty of patience and you will get there. :)

Scott inHouston
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
If Lotus cars in the USA are anything like Lotus cars in the UK, then the paint is diamond hard! Something like ScratchX by hand I reckon is going to struggle I`m afraid. I would personally go for Menzerna Intensive Polish applied by hand using the polishing side of a German applicator pad (red, yellow and black Sonus ones). This will give you more bits and more chance on very hard paint... Very small areas at a time and thoroughly work in the product with medium pressure, plenty of patience and you will get there. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Accumulator
09-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Scott inHouston- If you don`t mind a product that leaves wax behind (you can always alcohol-wipe or follow up with a non-wax polish) I`d use 1Z polishes. I use those for scratches in Audi clear (very hard) where I can`t reach with a machine. Their Ultra/Extra polish is about as aggressive as you can get and still work by hand. Follow up with something milder as the Ultra/Extra will leave a little light micromarring (no matter *how* you apply it, even by rotary...it breaks down the same no matter what).

Since you`re using a glaze/carnauba regimen anyhow, IMO the 1Z stuff is exactly the right solution for you.

Scott inHouston
09-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Scott inHouston- If you don`t mind a product that leaves wax behind (you can always alcohol-wipe or follow up with a non-wax polish) I`d use 1Z polishes. I use those for scratches in Audi clear (very hard) where I can`t reach with a machine. Their Ultra/Extra polish is about as aggressive as you can get and still work by hand. Follow up with something milder as the Ultra/Extra will leave a little light micromarring (no matter *how* you apply it, even by rotary...it breaks down the same no matter what).

Since you`re using a glaze/carnauba regimen anyhow, IMO the 1Z stuff is exactly the right solution for you.

Oh nice. I appreciate it! I`ll report back with results after this weekend. :)

Accumulator
09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I`ll report back with results [of using 1Z polishes] after this weekend..

Be sure to work them long enough for the abrasive to break down. With all the wax/oils in those polishes it`s not a biggie if you work them too long (they break down more or less into wax), but you *do* want to work them long *enough*. Just try to stop before they completely dry out, and that shouldn`t be a problem. More likely, you`ll be thinking "gee, do these *ever* dry out?"

I used these on a RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratch) on my wife`s A8 a week or so ago, worked great per usual. Nice to not have to get out the machines and make a big production out of a little flaw. Hope they work as well for you as they do for me.