PDA

View Full Version : White Flecks on Black Hood

ZeroDfx
09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Using my PC for the first time after claying the car, I applied DP Swirl Remover to take out the scratches/swirls on my Black 97 BMW 5 series; I followed this with FP-II to remove the hazing from the SMR; then Klasse AIO to bring out the gloss even more; then Klasse SG for protection. I am extremely happy with the performance of each of the products and the resulting shine; water beads like crazy during rain storms and streams off in sheets as I drive.

However, the age of my vehicle becomes obvious when I look at the front of the hood area: it has been sandblasted by wind and debris over 135k miles, so there are little white flecks/specks where the polishes seem to be hanging up in these small sandblasted spots. If I run my hand over the surface, it feels very smooth, but I can see the specks. I avoided using any filler-type polishes or glazes, but now I`m wondering if I should try a dark colored polish or glaze to hide these tiny imperfections. Has anyone else had to deal with this and what worked the best for you? Where would I insert this step/product into my process?

Thanks,

Nick

Mark G.
09-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Nick,

If you really like your car, budget a front clip repaint. Those flicks you`re referring to are one of two things: 1, Rock Chips (Flicks are oblong and jagged) 2. Most likely, bug acid burns (Flicks are round and depending on the age could still be puffed on the perimeter) In either case the damage is down to the metal and if you`re serious about your BMW, then take it for a paint repair. I know this is not what you were looking to hear but I`ve seen this damage many, many times.

Best of luck,

Mark G.

ZeroDfx
09-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks; it`s probably about time and the only way to effectively deal with it.