PDA

View Full Version : Dryer sheets for bug removal?

Pages : [1] 2

Yzer
09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I did a couple searches but did not get very much info out of them.

So I have heard for quite a while that using the fabric softer sheets on the front bumper gets bug off really well, which it does. I have mainly just done it on my car though. I just wanted to know if there are any downfalls to using them before I do it on customers cars. I have some Poorboy`s bug and tar remover and have tried other products and techniques that just dont seem as quick the the dryer sheets.

What has worked well for me though is to throw a few wet mf towels over the front bumper while im getting ready to wash. Next I use the PB`s on it, then rinse it off. I then use the damp dryer sheets. Finally, I wash as usual. This method seems pretty effective for A LOT of bugs.

Let me know what you guys think about the dryer sheet. Do you think it will cause any marring or strip the wax? I also dont apply very much pressure at all with them.

Thanks in advance,

--Mark

a.k.a. Patrick
09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I personally wouldnt do it on my car. The trick with bug removal is actually softening the lil buggers up. This quickly and effectively removes them. I dont necessarily think the dryer sheets is doing anything, other then the attrition with the sheet.

Yzer
09-18-2006, 09:27 PM
I think I read on here that whatever is in the sheet softens the bugs and makes them easier to remove. Not sure how accurate that is though.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-18-2006, 11:10 PM
I find it physically impossible for something dry, to loosen or soften dead, sunburned, baked on bugs. If you get a large area of splatter, lay a wet MF or cotton towel on them. Wait 15 minutes then wipe away, works like a champ.......

Yzer
09-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I do that as well. That also works very well!

I might add that I wet the sheet. It produces a really soapy and slippery surface. The surface seems very well lubricated. I usually use several sheets per vehicle to try and reduce the risk marring.

imported_Kraig
09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
good idea, those sheets work great on burned up food on pans.

benvegas
09-19-2006, 12:23 AM
It`s a LOT of work to remove bugs that way! Easiest way is to simply soak the bugs with some bug & tar remover -or- even some quick detail spray. Wait a minute and then usually just wipe them right off. If it`s one of those areas like Florida where there`s a lovebug season for a week, just put a small strip of syran wrap (spelling?) and then remove later, no bugs touch the car.

Yzer
09-19-2006, 12:27 AM
It`s lovebug time right now where im at. It`s not my car im worried about though, its the customers car. This seems to be one of the faster ways that I have removed bugs from the front so I just wanted to make sure its 100% safe.

benvegas
09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
What cloth is fabric softener sheets made of? If they arent cotton at the least I`d throw it away and dont chance scratching it further.

BigAl3
09-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Easiest way is to simply soak the bugs with some bug & tar remover. Wait a minute and then usually just wipe them right off.

this works for me...

Yzer
09-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Also, I dont use this method for the average amount of bugs on cars. This is for hudreds of bugs! I actually use a combination of all the methods that have been mention but I just really want to make sure the dryer sheet method is safe.

I tried to look on the box for what they are made out of but it is not listed on the particular brand I have.

HondaGuy
09-19-2006, 02:58 AM
this works for me...

Same here, just if you use a bug and tar remover or APC, then you have to re-apply the protectant.

cruisemainst
09-19-2006, 03:12 AM
i just use wd40. its the cheapest and works the same as a bug/tar remover imo.

abbeysdad
09-19-2006, 08:17 AM
i just use wd40. its the cheapest and works the same as a bug/tar remover imo.

But don`t you think that`s pretty hard on your LSP and leaves the paint unprotected? Or do you reapply your wax or sealant?

E-Jag
09-19-2006, 04:16 PM
In a pinch, these two methods of getting rid of love bugs have worked well for me:

1. Moisten a Bounce fabric softener sheet with water and wipe over the bugs. They emulsify in a few seconds and come right off. Rewax area.

2. Spray with hydrogen peroxide and let sit for a minute. Bugs get foamy. Wipe/rinse off. Rewax area.

During love bug season, I keep a lot of wax on the front of the car - the vertical part (bumpers, grill, etc.) and the leading edge of the hood. The bugs basically rinse right off with the hose.

E-Jag