PDA

View Full Version : ClearMask -- The DIY PPF Kit`s

MorBid
09-16-2006, 11:49 PM
In our last episode our hero he was contiplating installing a PPF Kit on his rocker panels (here (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77425)). We will now re-join our hero after getting the kit...

ClearMask (http://www.Clearmask.com) is a another distributor of PPF (paint protection film). They are unique in that kits they make are made with a DIY`er in mind using 3m Areospace film. Thier lineup from top to bottom includes Clearmask AR, Areogard, and Areogard Utra. Kit`s come in Standard and XL (the latter provides more coverage).

Once you select your vehicle and they present the available packages each is rated on a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty. They include a instructional DVD which among other things shows a guy doing a install on a Porchse (front bumper, hood, and fenders) with commentary on how to do each part.

I think it`s a special they are running cuz I got their Headlamp kit for my Audi (lightgard) and a install kit (two industrial spray bottles. a squeege, a exacto knife, and a hard card) included in my order for free.

okay let`s get on with it shall we.

Everything arrived well packaged but the Rocker kit was all on one Cap Sheet, so I needed to cut each pattern out seperately using the exacto knife.

When I got my front end done in the early part of spring the installer used Avery Stoneshield and I am still not too pleased with the Orange Peel. This film has no OP and is clear as can be.

Now I`ve never done PPF installs before but figured I taught myself everything else about Autobody and Engine Repair I should be able to learn this. I figured I would start with the headlamps cuz they are small and I stll have the one`s from the Avery Kit (just in case)

I mixed up the Slip Solution in one bottle (they say to use dish soap but anyone who knows me knows how I feel about dishsoap and cars). So I used Johnson`s baby shampoo.

Mistake one: Don`t use too much soap in the slip solution.

They said to use 1 tablespoon to 32 oz of distilled/purified water. Well to me that didn`t feel slippery enough so I used 6. Big mistake and I`ll tell you why later.

Getting the damn film of the liner is a PITA. Make sure your GF is over if you don`t have nails.

I can now say I see why people say it`s very difficult to install this stuff. It`s not like you just lay it out and squeege it down. Once you put that Slip Solution down the film wants to move all over (if your working on a vertical surface).

In addition you need to smooth/stretch the film to conform to the part/panel with one hand while using the squeege with the other.

Parts with curves are harder for that reason. If you don`t get the film flat, you`ll keep getting bubbles around the edges. Fortunatley this a DIY`er product so you can lift the film up and reposition it lots of times. Just keep it wet with the slip solution.

Ohh now back to that. I was having a hellava time getting this to seal flat around the edges. I was spraying the alcohol/water mixture beneath it and squeege`ing my little azz of but the film kept popping up. This went on for a couple hours till I realized I must`ve used too much soap and now the alcohol/water stuff can`t get it all out. I went back into the house and dumped it out and made some more the right way.

Well long story short (thanks for hanging in) the first one I had been working on now for several hours was getting all cloudy and I still couldn`t get the edges down, but feeling more confident now that I had learned to work the material and with the right slip solution I went over to the other one.

Piece of cake, knocked it out in less than 15 or 20 minutes and it looks great. Just like a pro did it. No bubbles, not cloudy and fits exact.

I then went back to the other one and lifted the whole thing off again (for the 5th or 6th time) and began all over. This time (with the help of a hair dryer) I got it into position and the edges are down. I managed to put a little scratch in it and am hoping the cloudiness will clear up.

This is my long way of saying you can do install`s of PPF if your careful and game. Don`t expect to get it right the first time (it is really a skill) but once you get the hang of it you`ll be all set.

Now tommorrow those rocker panels.

Morbid

cruisemainst
09-17-2006, 12:24 AM
nice! do you have any pics? and how much did this kit run you?

MorBid
09-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I paid $149.00 with shipping for the 2005 AUDI A4 ULTRASPORT Rockers XL Kit. I got the Areograd but wanted to try the Aerogard Ultra (which would`ve only been 20 smackers more) but when I called them they guy could`nt tell me if it was 3M Film or not.

I`ll try and snap some pics Sunday when I`m done with the whole install.

Five Star
09-18-2006, 01:48 AM
yes.. you only need a few drops of baby shampoo to one spray bottle

MorBid
09-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Now he tells me :). Well I finished the install today and it come out perfect. The film wasn`t cut long enough to make to the edge of the rocker (short by maybe a 1/2 inch) but this time I whizzed through it.

Took maybe 4 hours to get both sides (4 pieces) done, but I was working on my back and the damn creeper I have kept kicking out on me (which would move me away from the car). That and I had no help on the long pieces so it was hard to "tack" it down and position it.

We`ll see how this stuff stands up to a Western NY winter but I`m thinking it`s a keeper and probaly will do my front end with it when it`s time for the Avery Stoneshield to come off.

Greg

Five Star
09-18-2006, 02:06 AM
lol.. sorry man

typically you should only have an 1/8 of an inch gap between the film and the end of the panel.

maybe call the kit maker and inform them of this issue.

MorBid
09-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Five Star:

It`s all good, like I said in the beginning, I botched up the mixture ratio. So for today`s install, I had the good stuff from the second batch yesterday and it was all I needed.

I will measure it tommorrow, but I`m sure it`s more than 1/8". All of the other edges are either dead on or within than tolerance you mentioned.

Not to get cocky or anything, but I actually enjoyed doing it and and happy I took the shot. After my initial fustration with the first piece, it all went on like clockwork. I would suggest a sissor lift for doing rockers though. Ohh my aching back :)

Greg

SamIam
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
I installed a kit and after viewing their video, you can, and should, stretch the film to come to the edge.

MorBid
09-18-2006, 09:08 AM
I did stretch the film and got everything else to line up.

Dan
09-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I did my bike with this stuff, definately not something I want to do again. The bike was especially curvey and a royal PITA. It looks good, no bo-bos, but still. I think this stuff is worse than window tint....GRRRR

Five Star
09-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Kits are a great thing to learn how to do.

but like anything it takes patience and practice to be good at it.

find a wholesale supplier and you can make a few hundred bucks on one install.

MorBid
09-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Kits are a great thing to learn how to do.

but like anything it takes patience and practice to be good at it.

find a wholesale supplier and you can make a few hundred bucks on one install.

Now that I`ve had it out in the sun for a few days to look at I`m rather pleased with myself. Even that headlamp I first started off with and was struggling with looks good (`cept where a scratched it).

I`ll need to do a few more before I start charging for installs, but your right the money is there.