PDA

View Full Version : Touchup Paint has Toluene, Ketones, and Acetates

scrapser
09-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Paint is from the Nissan dealer. What can I thin it with? I asked in another thread before reading the bottle and got a few suggestions but I thought I`d ask again. I read somewhere else NOT to use any kind of laquer thinner, especially the plain type you can buy in a paint store like Home Depot.

How about acetone? That stuff will disolve anything and dries rapidly so I`m reluctant to try it but can`t think of anything else short of buying something from a body shop.

scrapser

mblgjr
09-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Is this just a small tube of touchup?

If it is, it will be very difficult to reduce it in such a small container.

I would suggest that you find your paint code and go to a local paint supplier. Most will mix you a 2-4oz bottle for a nominal cost. They`ll thin it to your liking as well.

imported_steveo3002
09-17-2006, 03:48 AM
any cellulose thinners....thats what toulene is in

scrapser
09-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Now this is funny. It turns out that laquer thinner IS toluene and acetone, which is a cellulose thinner. The word cellulose does not appear anywhere on the can (would have been nice if all the references online mentioned this).

Why must things be so cryptic? Weird.

scrapser

imported_steveo3002
09-17-2006, 01:46 PM
i couldnt suggest a brand as im in england....any auto paint place should have it, im not sure but it might be called laquer thinner over in usa??