PDA

View Full Version : Dealer sticker removal

travish316
04-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions on how to remove the dealer sticker they put on the back of their vehicles? Thanks..

jaybs02
04-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Use a hair dryer to heat it up and slowly peel it back. If it`s a plaque type you can use dental floss to work behind it.

You can remove remaining residue with 3m`s adhesive remover or I have had good luck with WD-40.

Depending on how old the car is when you remove the sticker there might be a difference in the color of the paint.

Good luck
"J"

travish316
04-02-2005, 05:03 PM
It`s an 03 truck. Thanks, I hope it works. Really appreciate it.

Nickc0844
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
and to add what Jay said too, if you have Goo-Gone around, that works very well with a terry towel. I would also suggest polishing afterwards over where the logo was even if it is an 03`.

All in all, it is pretty easy and something I run across monthly. Toothpicks work well too for vinyl lettering. If you have a heat gun as well, that makes the process a little bit faster.

Best of luck, and hope it comes out well for you.

travish316
04-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Thank you gentleman. I will try those slick tricks.

Secret Chimp
04-04-2005, 03:23 PM
...If it`s a plaque type you can use dental floss to work behind it.

I usually use monofilament line (fishing line) to remove badges. I cut two pieces of 1/4 inch wood doweling, notch each piece and tie in a length of the filament line. The dowels give me something to hold onto whileworking with the line....so the line doesn`t cut into my fingers!

bossplaya
04-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I usually use monofilament line (fishing line) to remove badges. I cut two pieces of 1/4 inch wood doweling, notch each piece and tie in a length of the filament line. The dowels give me something to hold onto whileworking with the line....so the line doesn`t cut into my fingers!

Great tip! Thanks!

Koop
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
also be very carefull with the hair dryer. They usualy don`t get THAT hot, but you can burn the paint if you are too close and in one spot too long.

VroomVroom
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
I`ve found that a plastic putty knife, plenty of QD spray (or soap & water) for lubrication, and a bit of heat are the perfect tools. I tried floss once and just couldn`t get the right leverage without making my fingers hurt. The putty knife is perfect for badging, molding, and vinyl letters. Decals seem to the the hardest - at least to get started - and I`ve found nothing better than the nail on my index finger.

Goo gone is perfect for adhesive residue, and a paint cleanser of some sort may be needed for particularly stubborn adhesive stains. I keep a trusty old bottle of Meguiar`s cleaner wax around just for this purpose. Definitely protect the area with your favorite wax/sealant afterward.

Take care,
Jerry