PDA

View Full Version : porter cable, is it newbie freindly?

Oxygen
09-14-2006, 09:34 PM
am about to do detailing my cars for the very first time. i only go as far as car wash and some OTC wax like zymol.

i got some zaino kit, and would like to detail my car. am thinking of using a porter cable, is it user friendly/newbie friendly to use?

can someone advice some good basic plan to detail an SUV particularly a black 4Runner?

gav'spurplez
09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
the dual action PC 7424 is newbie friendly,

with the right products and pads, that black suv can look like new.

Oxygen
09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
thanks for the quick response.

ok it does sounds scary when i saw "the right products and pads" means something like, if not used prperly, one can messed the finish of a car. because im thinking of buying one, i do already have some zainos which is their 85 dollar kit. for the PC, which pads do i need to get the job done.

gav'spurplez
09-14-2006, 10:12 PM
i am not familiar with using zaino, but there are plenty of members on here that are.

maybe you should browse around the click and brag area and see what members use.

and i did not intend for it to seem like you can harm the paint.

but some guys on here like certain combinations.

i like using menzerna intensive polish ( abrasive ) and a yellow cutting pad in order to remove swirls.

i like using wolfgang sealant with a gray finishing pad for my last step product.

i would do some searches and some general reading on here, it will help out alot.

but i would not be afraid of ordering a pc, it will only help your detailing

velobard
09-14-2006, 11:33 PM
the dual action PC 7424 is newbie friendly,

with the right products and pads, that black suv can look like new.

One more important thing to add. Right technique. We all have to learn it.

sQuashed
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
It all starts with a wash and a good claying.. So much info can be found right HERE (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/) :2thumbs:

mblgjr
09-15-2006, 02:40 AM
The above link is a great source of information.

Also, the PC is VERY first-timer and user friendly.

You really don`t have anything to be scared of as far as burning the paint at all. It is not like a rotary in terms of scare factor.

A good wash and clay is a great place to start, then continue with your polishing and wax/sealant.

Optimum Compound and Polish work great on black, as OP finished down very well.

I would also suggest that you take a look at the Pinnacle XMT line, as they are ultra user friendly and finish down very well.

Of course, don`t overlooks the Menzerna line either, as it is another forum favorite for black.

Do your homework here, as there are several videos that show you how to properly master the PC. Moving the machine at a rate of approx. 1" per second on speeds 5 or 6 works very well.

Good luck.

tustah
09-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Don`t be afraid to crank it up to 6 for defect removal. Lots of vibration, but you`ll get used to it.