PDA

View Full Version : 3M Perfect-It 2. Can I use for final pass on hard BMW clearcoat?

Landerholm
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I started out PCing my recently purchased 1998 BMW M3 (silver) with my yellow cutting pad and 3M Finesse-It 2. The car is very lightly swirled but I needed to step up to 3M`s Perfect-It 2 to get out some of the heavier swirls....I wasnt too suprised given my experience with BMW`s very hard clearcoats.

Normally I would have gone over the car with Klasse AIO after the Finesse-It 2 and then waxed it and been done.

Im wondering if I can still do the same after using the Perfect-It 2, or if I have to do the whole car in Finesse-It 2 before finishing with the AIO on the white pad.

The car doesnt *appear* to have any micromarring from the Perfect-It 2 under my two 500watt halogen lights....But I also know its hard to spot on silver. Could the clearcoat be so hard that I dont have any?

Thanks!

Accumulator
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I *still* haven`t gotten to the polishing of my `97 E36 :o so I don`t know first-hand about the BMW clear, but I can`t get a ready-to-wax finish on Audi silver with PI-II FCRC 39002 (or even the better-finishing PI-III RC 05933) and I`m very confident that the Audi`s clear is harder than the BMW`s.

I inspect with incandescent lights (preferably high-wattage ones) in an otherwise dark shop, it sorta simulates the "parking lot lights at night" effect where previously invisible marring jumps out at you.

I`d give it a pass with a milder product before you go to the LSP. But then I was never satisfied with the finish from FI-II either, so I suppose it`s a matter of how picky you want to be. When it comes right down to it, IMO it`s all about whether *YOU* are satisfied with the car`s appearance; it`s easy to get caught up in the Autopian quest for absolute perfection ;)

gtpaul
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes you can use the PII, but I`d follow up with a quick polish after.

We use PII all day long at the dealer here and we still find the best results come with a good polish after the compounding.