PDA

View Full Version : Wax for Dad?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
09-13-2006, 01:01 PM
We all have family members that ocasionally wax their cars. They don`t follow out protocol and don`t care to. My dad in particular cares for his cars (or thinks he does :chuckle: ), I want to recommend a good cleaner wax for him. Getting him to wax the car is hard enough and a two step process is out of the question. Most important:

1. Durability, if it can`t cut it for four to six months, well, the car won`t be protected

2. Strong cleaning action to remove all the crap from the neglect.

Ideally I`d love to see something like Zaino with a built in cleaner, but it seems that a cleaning action and durability seem to be mutually exclusive.

I like Collinite Liquid Fleet Wax (No. 870), however it seems to be losing its edge after ~2 months, while it still beads, it doesn`t bead much.

Anyone know of something better?

TGates
09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
If the car is properly cleaned (clayed, polished) once, then a durable wax such as Collinite IW845 or 476, especially if applied every quarter, would go a long ways to preserve that cleaning. If it`s maintained with a simple wash once every week or so that would help.

I don`t know of any heavy cleaner waxes with exceptional durability off the top of my head, but that doesn`t mean there aren`t any out there.

BTW, the issue of beading=protection is of debate lately. Less beading does not necessarily equal less protection.

TigerMike
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately, durability is usually the tradeoff when using cleaner type waxes or sealants. That said, I personally, would recommend Duragloss #101 (a cleaner polymer sealant), with applications of Aquawax afterwards. Get him some AW and he can use that after washing (takes 5 minutes tops). The 101 will probably last ~2-3 months on its own, but with AW will easily push to 6 months. The AW is just so easy I would highly recommend he at least use that for added protection. My AW applications are going on to at least 2 months on their own.

AW is just so easy he has NO excuse to NOT have protection on the car at all times!

Mike :)

Dan
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
The reason for needing a strong cleaner is its not going to get clayed, cleaned or prepped in any way. I `d love to be able to do it for him yearly but I have my hands full with way to many cars and bikes to take care of on my own (yeah, I know, what a sob story).

I have to remind him to wax in the first place, using an AW isn`t going to happen. I cringe to think how he towel dries the car. What he needs is what nu-finish promises!

kompressornsc
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I just give my Dad Jimmy Buffit`s phone number.:) He`s getting ready to take his new Mazda CX-7 in for AIO / SG. And Jim did his new Miata a few months ago.

abbeysdad
09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
The reason for needing a strong cleaner is its not going to get clayed, cleaned or prepped in any way. I `d love to be able to do it for him yearly but I have my hands full with way to many cars and bikes to take care of on my own (yeah, I know, what a sob story).

But Yakky....It`s yer DAD !?

imported_Larry A
09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
The best cleaner waxes are Duragloss #101, Poorboys PWC, Meguiars Color X, and Mothers cleaner-wax.These will clean up the paint pretty good. Now to make it last you will need a spray wax like OCW, or Aquawax once a month. Spray waxes are very easy to use, take no more then 15 minutes, and can be done after a automatic car wash. A friend of mine never waxes his cars, he is 70 years old, when I show him what Aquawax will do to his car he became a believer. His cars look sharp now.

Scottwax
09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Optimum has a new one step polish/sealant coming out this fall. I should have a production version to test pretty soon. Sounds promising..

Dan
09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
But Yakky....It`s yer DAD !?

I know... I know, I`ve done their cars before... I have 5 now and 6 bikes that are attention w#ore$. :sosad You are right, I should do a nice cleaning once a year and let him do some sloppy waxing with 845....

joyriiide1113
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Tell him to wash once with Dawn and to use some NXT wax. Not very autopian and the dawn wash not recommended frequently, but perfectly fine for him to use.

Of course he`d need to use regular car soap and reapply the NXT every 3 months.

I`m sure that once he uses NXT once and see`s how easy and nice it looks, he`ll think he`s a better detailer than you.. Happens all the time to me...

justin30513
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Optimum has a new one step polish/sealant coming out this fall. I should have a production version to test pretty soon. Sounds promising..

That`s gonna be hot as hell!

Keep me informed.

bene vita
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Yakky,

The "Old Man" has been taking care of you for YEARS!!

Why not take less than a hour to wash and clay his car once every six months? This way he will have a clean slate to work with and he will enjoy doing his twice a year "wax job".

Two hours a YEAR should not take away from your: "I have 5 now and 6 bikes". Who knows, maybe the two of you may have time to even have a good old conversation.

If you feel that I am trying to lay a "guilt trip" on you you are CORRECT. ALL of us "OLD MEN" would just love to spend 2 hours a YEAR with the kid "playing with the car"

Why am I being so rough on you? Well, many years ago I also did not "have the time" to spend with my Dad.

Now, it`s too late.

Dan
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
You guys are right... I`ll do his car. The guilt has worked! I need to get the kids to start detailing MY cars!

coupe
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
We all have family members that ocasionally wax their cars. They don`t follow out protocol and don`t care to. My dad in particular cares for his cars (or thinks he does :chuckle: ), I want to recommend a good cleaner wax for him. Getting him to wax the car is hard enough and a two step process is out of the question. Most important:

1. Durability, if it can`t cut it for four to six months, well, the car won`t be protected

2. Strong cleaning action to remove all the crap from the neglect.

Ideally I`d love to see something like Zaino with a built in cleaner, but it seems that a cleaning action and durability seem to be mutually exclusive.

I like Collinite Liquid Fleet Wax (No. 870), however it seems to be losing its edge after ~2 months, while it still beads, it doesn`t bead much.

Anyone know of something better?

Long Hual or Race Glaze is EXACTLY what your lookin for!

Rafa
09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Yakky,

The "Old Man" has been taking care of you for YEARS!!

Why not take less than a hour to wash and clay his car once every six months? This way he will have a clean slate to work with and he will enjoy doing his twice a year "wax job".

Two hours a YEAR should not take away from your: "I have 5 now and 6 bikes". Who knows, maybe the two of you may have time to even have a good old conversation.

If you feel that I am trying to lay a "guilt trip" on you you are CORRECT. ALL of us "OLD MEN" would just love to spend 2 hours a YEAR with the kid "playing with the car"

Why am I being so rough on you? Well, many years ago I also did not "have the time" to spend with my Dad.

Now, it`s too late.

DAMN. That almost caught me !!! Thank God I did my moms car last month, so I`m saved from the guilt trip. But what Bene Vita is saying is very true. I had about a 8 hour conversation with my Dad. While I was buffing :waxing: , I kept him busy getting the beers refills ready !

Ohh by the way ! Did I mention that I needed a car to practice with my new PC ?

Rafa