PDA

View Full Version : XMT by Pinnacle

Pietrasz4
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
hey i want to get the porter cable and not sure which thing to get, i would like to get this one that has the porter cable and a whole bunch of stuff...

Porter Cable 7424

5 inch Dual Action Flex Backing Plate

12 oz. XMT FineSwirl Remover #2

12 oz. XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1

12 oz. Carnauba Finishing Glaze

6.5 inch Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad

6.5 inch Lake Country White Polishing Pad

2- 6.5 inch Lake Country Gray Finishing Pads

2- 16 x 16 inch Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets

Polish ‘N Wax Applicator

here is the link http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocaswrek.html

Is this a good kit to get for a beginer? or is there a better kit? is the XMT a good product? also it dosent come with the final wax, what is a good wax to use on a black car? i was thinking black fire, but can that be applied by machine?

TGates
09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
The XMT line is nice. I really like their polishing pad conditioner and cleaner. The cleaner works very well. I`ve had pretty good luck with their polishes and I love the glaze. That`s a pretty good kit for a beginner. As for a final wax, you`ll want to use a carnauba wax, not a sealant, if you`re going to be using the finishing glaze, as there may be bonding issues with a sealant over the glaze. I`d recommend one of the Pinnacle waxes as a final wax, although there are plenty of other nice carnaubas to choose from on the Autogeek website.

superchargedg
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
i just got that kit last week and it did a fantastic job on my red g35 coupe.i also got the xmt#3 but didnt use it,i should have.i still have a few scratches that need to come out,but it worked great.i also have the sonus swirlbuster polish and pad which i am going to try before xmt#3 to see what it does.

Ben Kenobi
09-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Tyler summed it up perfectly for you. I`ve also used the DP polishes and found them to be excellent. You might also want to check out the Wolfgang kit that AG has also. AG is a good firm to deal with, enjoy your kit when you get it.

kellyinkc
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
The XMT line is nice. I really like their polishing pad conditioner and cleaner. The cleaner works very well. I`ve had pretty good luck with their polishes and I love the glaze. That`s a pretty good kit for a beginner. As for a final wax, you`ll want to use a carnauba wax, not a sealant, if you`re going to be using the finishing glaze, as there may be bonding issues with a sealant over the glaze. I`d recommend one of the Pinnacle waxes as a final wax, although there are plenty of other nice carnaubas to choose from on the Autogeek website.

Any reason why a `nuba over a sealant?

firegate
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Any reason why a `nuba over a sealant?

Sealants generally have bonding issues on top of a glaze because of the filler oils left behind.. the only exceptions I know of are Poorboys EX and EX-P.

kellyinkc
09-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Thats why I use a sealant first then a `nuba.

TGates
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Thats why I use a sealant first then a `nuba.

As long as you`re using the sealant over a clean surface, you can top with a pure carnauba as many times as you`d like, just not the other way around. The only exception, as Firegate mentioned, is the popular VM/EX or EX-P combo. I always go straight from final polish to sealant. I don`t even like to layer sealants over AIO without an IPA/water wipedown first as AIO does leave some acrylic polymers behind, although 95% of the people you ask will say it`s fine to layer sealants other than SG over AIO, and they`re probably right. I`m just paranoid :o

Pietrasz4
09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
XMT #3, if i got that, could i just use that for spot buffing? like just use it in certain problem areas, or would i have to use it on the whole car? because my car right now isnt too bad, but i have one section with like 3 scratches, not real big ones, but decent ones i guess.

finerdetails
09-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I have the XMT finishing glaze, and its a fab product, either to use as a one step on a polishing pad, or as a glaze on a finishing pad. Top with a wax for serious bling results.....

I have also used the ultra fine SR, and whilst the end result is almost glaze like in appearance, the dusting it caused is a real PITA.

If you want any pics from the XMT details give me a shout ;)

I also use wolfgang sealant, and find this to be one of the easiest lowest effort sealants available, with superb results!!!

superchargedg
09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
XMT #3, if i got that, could i just use that for spot buffing? like just use it in certain problem areas, or would i have to use it on the whole car? because my car right now isnt too bad, but i have one section with like 3 scratches, not real big ones, but decent ones i guess.

yes it finishes down just like #2 and #1.