PDA

View Full Version : Grease removal on cloth seat??

rlirwin
09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
This past weekend someone got some grease from a bicycle chain on beige passenger seat of our subaru. I treated the seats with 303 fabric protector ten months ago when we got the car. I got 98% of the stain off with 303 fabric cleaner and then tried turtle was power out upholstery cleaner, but there are still two small spots. Didn`t want to clean over and over as I was afraid I would damage the seat with the brush even though it was pretty soft. I do have a hoover portable "steam" cleaner. Maybe I should try that. Any suggestions??

Dan
09-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I`m just a home detailer not a pro by any means, but what has always worked for me on really tough grease stains is...GASP..WD-40 and then your favorite cleaner to get the WD-40 out. Works great on clothes that you shouldn`t be wearing while you are working on your car too..lol.

brwill2005
09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
A dry cleaning solvent made for fabric should work.

imported_smprince1
09-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Charlies APC is good on grease ... it needs time to work best though so let it sit a little. Oil Eater from Cosco also isn`t bad. Both can be diluted and used on fabrics.

I also have good luck with Folex and Megs APC 10:1 on cloth interiors for general cleaning/stain removal, but I can`t remember if they are good on grease.

BigJimZ28
09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
GOOP hand cleaner works great for this!

imported_Grouse
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Solvents, make for very poor detergents as they have almost no cleaning ability. However wehn combined with an alkaline detergent you will finde a combo that will defeat many oily soils found in cars. Apply the solvent to fiber first, work in with brush, then apply AK detergent.

It depends on what you are trying to do. usually when people say degreasers they want something to suspend the grease so it can be washed away. The issue is that this is a bit more complicated than just that. to get suspension of an oily substance you need two things. Some sort of solvent and some sort of detergent.

here is a test. Take some oil based paint and put it on your hands.

then try washing your hands with citrus solvents. Yes it makes the oilbased paints thinner but does not remove them. even when run under hot water it still is a poor detergent.

now while you have that citrus oil mix on your hands put a detergent into the mix, tide, dawn, bar soap what ever. rub liberally you`ll begin to see the oil paint suspended in the solvent detergenst mix. Run your hands under the water till clean, rinse and repeat the citrus-detergent mix.

now try the oil paint with just detergent first. then add the solvent. since the process was inversed the solvent can`t directly act with the paint nearly as well. Causing it to be a longer process.

with clean hands apply paint again. Mix the citrus solvent and detergent together. then try and clean your hands. It will work but it will take a while longer.

What you need is a solvent and a detergent and an extraction method.

a good simple solvent, citrus (delimonine) either liquid or gel. Xylene, 1,1,1 tri clor. ect ect. Apply it to the grease. work it in gently.

then apply a good detergent. you need a fairly high alkaline detergent for greases. So that cuts out woolite carpet cleaner, folex, resolve. If you can`t actually get your hands on a professional carpet detergent, use bissels LGCM detergent just mix it at 32:1

Work the detergent on the grease stain. Let it sit for about 10 min.

then extract the detergent with a LGCM while running detergents through it as a rinsing agent. Dry stroke the seat dry.

now rinse the seat with clean water. Bissel cleaning detergent is notorious for reattracting dirt. by rinsing with water you lessen the likely hood of this happening. Dry stroke the seat.

Set up ample air movement to dry the seat as soon as possible.

protect with fiber protectant before 100% dry.

Auto Care USA
09-14-2006, 07:35 PM
One shot of spot shot will do it. After you spray wipe with a dry micro fiber

mblgjr
09-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Spot Shot, Goop hand cleaner or 3M carpet/upholstery cleaner all work great at removing grease from cloth.

Might want to give one of those Tide-to-go pens a shot as well, if the above doesn`t work.