PDA

View Full Version : New tree sap problem

tguil
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
When I removed a spot of fresh pine tree sap (on the truck less than 12 hours) from my wife`s 2005 white Tacoma 4X4. the paint dissolved almost to the primer. I used my usual product -- 3M Adhesive Remover which is very safe for factory or cured paint. First time something like this has happend to me in over 45 years of washing, waxing and detailing vehicles. The Toyota white paint must be darn soft and from what I can tell has no clearcoat. Damn. I`m just glad that it was the top rather than the hood.

The truck is only a year old. I sure want to avoid doing this again in the future. Any suggestions? Tree sap happens unless you live in the desert so what options might I have.

The truck had a pretty good coat of NXT on it. It now has two more. :D

Tom :cool:

a.k.a. Patrick
09-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I would consider taking it back to Yota....I have an 03 Taco and am not happy to hear of this...........

tguil
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I would consider taking it back to Yota....I have an 03 Taco and am not happy to hear of this...........

I just got through removing a ton of baked-on tree sap on my daughter`s 2002 silver Tacoma. It was a very difficult job but there was no damage to the paint. There were/are some issues with paint on the 2005 Tacos. The damage is not bad enough to take to the dealer otherwise I sure would.

velobard
09-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Dang, I`ve heard of toxic bird bombs, but never toxic tree sap. Ditto on going back to Toyota if you can get anything.I`d also keep a few layers of a good `nuba as a sacrificial layer of protection.

tguil
09-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Dang, I`ve heard of toxic bird bombs, but never toxic tree sap. Ditto on going back to Toyota if you can get anything.I`d also keep a few layers of a good `nuba as a sacrificial layer of protection.

The Service Department at my Toyota dealer is not all that great about giving help. Do you think that some Meguiars #16 would be better to apply than another application of NXT. Yes, I know that you can`t layer NXT, but it is supposed to be Meguiars best "wax/sealant".

(In the 70`s and 80`s , #16 was my wax of choice. I have a new can that I bought for "old times sake". There is still a can on the shelf in the shop where I bought my first can. Maybe I should buy it too -- just for the Toyota. :D )

a.k.a. Patrick
09-13-2006, 07:09 AM
the paint dissolved almost to the primer

Thats something to be concerned about! And I would consider it , "bad enough".......

velobard
09-13-2006, 07:44 AM
The Service Department at my Toyota dealer is not all that great about giving help. Do you think that some Meguiars #16 would be better to apply than another application of NXT. Yes, I know that you can`t layer NXT, but it is supposed to be Meguiars best "wax/sealant".

Frankly, with something like the possibility of defective paint I`d expect it to get escalated to whatever system Toyota has for regional support, some company rep at a higher level.

I specifically said you`d be better off with a `nuba because they`re supposed to do a better job of serving as a sacrificial layer than a sealant. Top your NXT with a few layers of #16 or whatever you have on hand and keep it freshened up every once in awhile. That should put things in your favor a little when tree sap, bird bombs, alien piss, or whatever land on your car.

tguil
09-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info about carnauba.

According to information I have read on two Toyota forums, Toyota is aware of paint problems, but avoids doing much about it. They have a disclaimer in their warranty stating that they will not cover damage caused by ".... Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris, rail dust, salt, hail, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions...." Note that tree sap is #2.

Toyota owners who have dealt with the company on paint issues tend to have been less than satisfied. if I take the truck in I`ll get the "crap" straight from the warranty book,especially because it is not all that severe. Lot`s of damage -- for sure I will raise some h---.

BobD
09-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info about carnauba.

According to information I have read on two Toyota forums, Toyota is aware of paint problems, but avoids doing much about it. They have a disclaimer in their warranty stating that they will not cover damage caused by ".... Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris, rail dust, salt, hail, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions...." Note that tree sap is #2.

Toyota owners who have dealt with the company on paint issues tend to have been less than satisfied. if I take the truck in I`ll get the "crap" straight from the warranty book,especially because it is not all that severe. Lot`s of damage -- for sure I will raise some h---.

Don`t go into the dealer and say "Tree sap did this to my car!" Just tell them it just happened if if they say it was something you did make them prove it. If you are certain your dealer sucks go to another dealer.

That is my thoughts anyway.

tguil
09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Sap happens. Period.

I tralked to a friend of mine who is a pro detailer -- a very good one. In his shop he uses denatured alcohol to remove tree sap and is very patient in doing so. He tries to let the alcohol do most of the work. He also told me that sometimes sap actually desolves paint -- both clear coated paint and single stage paint. It`s not necessarily the paint. Stated simply "sap happens".

I also talked to the shop manager of the body shop that serves a Toyota, Lexus, and Dodge dealership. He said the same thing. He has dealt with severe tree sap damage on all of the brands that he services. All types of paint. Again "sap happens". He said the best thing that you can do is get it off as quickly as possible. Apparently in the case of my wife`s white Tacoma, a few hours was too long for the sap to be on the paint.