PDA

View Full Version : Streak and scratch-free drying?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_StudyBuddy
09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I did a search on drying and didn`t find what I was looking for. I know that basically you can use microfiber towels, waffle weave microfiber, or a specific drying towel.

I personally have used the Absorber with a lot of success lately. I`ve been using it for a year, getting a new one once a month or two. The absorber does good at getting the paint dry, but I have to drag it across my black paint which can`t be good. I`ve used microfiber towels too, but I have to use lots of them and really don`t like the results either. I already use the "water sheeting" tip to minimize the amount of water to dry.

So what is it you guys find the best, especially on a black car? I was looking at trying some different waffle weaves or the P21S drying towel, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

http://www.autogeek.net/p2dryintow.html

Thanks for the help! :waxing:

Buddy

AutoNova
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Get a blower, that is unless you have no electricity then you get a gas blower.

twitch
09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
What kind of MF towels are you using for drying?

I`ve got a few Waffle Weave Sonus towels and they work perfectly. Some MF towels are much better at absorbing water than others. Maybe it was the type you were using.

Also it is important to make sure the drying towel is clean. If not you will end up with streaking and not so good absorbency.

Good luck!

TN9thSi
09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
The Cobra Guzzler WWMF are the best drying towels I`v eever used. They are super soft and have a silk-bound edge. No scratching and no straking. I have the giant version which will dry my entire car. I can`t see how anyone can like the absorber. I had a couple a few years ago and absolutely hated the things. They always left trails of water behind and seemed to have a lot of friction against the paint. I tossed them both, bought some WWMF and never looked back.

Cobra Guzzler (http://autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html)

Accumulator
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
My softest WWs (the old gray MicroFiberTech ones and the new ones from PakShack) don`t mar my paint and they get all the water. I have to be a little careful with my not-as-soft WWs though, I`m afraid they`ll mar with enough pressure, at least on really soft paint.

joyriiide1113
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I don`t like the absorber. I hate the drag and squeeking it causes.

I use two methods, depending on the vehicle..

For regularly maintained vehicle I use two waffleweaves.

One to catch the majority of water, and the other to clean up the wet trails.

For vehicles that are about to get a detail or I see maybe once a month I use a Meguairs Suede towel (chamois) and a waffle weave to follow up the wet trails.

Favorite WW is the Big Blue II towel I got from Dwayne @ detailcity a few months ago.

The reason I don`t just use waffleweaves on every detail is because I don`t like wasting them on cars Im only gonna wash and see once a month. Surprisingly, I haven`t gotten any marring from it.

All this assuming you washed, rinsed, and flooded the vehicle to get the majority of the water off.

imported_StudyBuddy
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, thanks for the help! I`m definitely going to get some good WW towels and try them out.

Oh, and I`m using the blue microfibers you can get at Sam`s Club. They`re pretty cheap and they work great. It`s the best over the counter MF I have been able to find and at that price I can throw them away when they get nasty.

imported_StudyBuddy
09-13-2006, 10:20 AM
The Cobra Guzzler WWMF are the best drying towels I`v eever used. They are super soft and have a silk-bound edge. No scratching and no straking. I have the giant version which will dry my entire car. I can`t see how anyone can like the absorber. I had a couple a few years ago and absolutely hated the things. They always left trails of water behind and seemed to have a lot of friction against the paint. I tossed them both, bought some WWMF and never looked back.

Cobra Guzzler (http://autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html)

Holy crap! It`s a $30 towel!

Man, why do I have to love doing this so much? :sadpace:

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
You might want to look at this one: http://www.microfibertech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3

gb387
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Here is another towel to look at.... Water Magnet Drying Towel (http://www.meguiars.com/?car-drying-tools/Water-Magnet-Drying-Towel) I have 6 of them and they work very well and don`t cost a fortune. I use a Microfiber Super Suede Drying Towel (http://www.meguiars.com/?car-drying-tools/Microfiber-Super-Suede-Drying-Towel) to soak up any standing water(in my case my bed cover and rear bumper) then follow up with the WW. If it were me I would keep the absorber for standing water.

evo77
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
I too like using the Megs Water Magnet towel. Its really soft and works great at sucking up water. I`ve been meaning to buy a hanful more since I only use one and I hate wringing out towels.

slick61
09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
a new Aborber every month or two? Seems a tad extreme. I`ve been using the same Absorber for TEN YEARS! (and it still works great) If I think it`s getting dirty, I throw it in the washing machine.

Lots of people don`t like the drag associated with the Absorber... whatever. Personal choice... I`ve been using a combination lately that works pretty good for me. I`ll use the Absorber to blot up most of the standing water, then finish with a waffle weave to pick up the remainder.

Maybe it`s me, but I don`t think the waffle weaves are the end-all be-all of car washing. They`re all right, but once the satin trim around the edge gets wet, it`ll drag water around the surface FAR worse than the Absorber ever did.

have tried using a blower- but just doesn`t work for me... is just too dusty here in the high desert.

But hey... to each his own... find out what works for YOU!

DM101
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
A blower is my ticket. Also the plushest MF Chemical Guys has are good.

racingbeat
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
depending on the car the flood method or `sheating method` as you call it, should remove 95% of the water. It takes a tiny bit of practice getting the correct pressure.

From that point I use the waffle weave to blot dry (up and down not sideways) the remaining water.

I use the Absorber for non-paint surfaces like glass/plastic/canvas top and and old one for wheels and tires. I usually spray the panel with a quick detailer like FK 425 or the more cleaning but also anti-static FK 146. Lubrication is vital in drying the car, the source of a big chunk of the swirling.

P.S.

I really like the waffle from Poorboysworld.com the threads stay together extremely well. I was catching allot of threads on waffle weave from other vendors.

gav'spurplez
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
i use a leaf blower and then a sonus WWMF,

i have a version on an absorber towel, called "aquadry"

one side seems to stick while drying, as the other side does not,

i do not use it anymore really, never really did, always like the regular chamois.

but when the waffle weaves came out it was all over :eek: