PDA

View Full Version : Need help with non-clearcoat vehicle

jbizzle22
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I`ve acquired a car with new paint, but no clearcoat. are there products designed to use on paint like this? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is a new area for me... :thx

And with the proper care, will the paint last for quite awhile with no clearcoat?

BobD
09-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Most of the products you will find are good for clear or non clear paint. Are you looking for a selant or wax or polishes?

jbizzle22
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply! I guess everything really. I just didn`t know if the same products I use on my other cars would be ok for this one. Mainly wax, polish, etc.

So using a PC is safe for cars with no clearcoat? same pads and everything? (i plan on getting one in the near future.)

Accumulator
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
jbizzle22- Yeah, you`ll be OK. Single stage is generally softer than basecoat/clear (the exception being white ss, it`s very hard) and it`ll leave paint on your pads when you polish (which can freak people out at first). But generally you can use the exact same stuff on ss that you use on b/c. I sorta prefer "oily" products like Meguiar`s stuff and waxes (as opposed to sealants) when I`m working with ss, but that`s just me.

[Note that Accumulator currently has two cars with single stage paint]

jbizzle22
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks...so when the paint comes off on the pads, towels, etc...i mean...is it eventually going to degrade the paint? Do you wash less/wax less often? I would think eventually it`s got to wear thin.

Just wierd how that works.

Also, when using your PC to remove swirls, etc. Do you use the same cutting products, etc? Thanks again.

RScott29
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi If the paint is basecoat clearcoat as most are today get it clearcoated before putting waxes and sealant on it

Or make sure who-ever goes to clearcoat it KNOWS what there doing

Buffing basecoat does NOT WORK!

Accumulator
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks...so when the paint comes off on the pads, towels, etc...i mean...is it eventually going to degrade the paint? Do you wash less/wax less often? I would think eventually it`s got to wear thin.

Just wierd how that works.

Also, when using your PC to remove swirls, etc. Do you use the same cutting products, etc? Thanks again.

While ss paint (other than white) is softer that just means you shouldn`t be more aggressive than necessary. You still take off paint when you polish b/c, but it`s *clear* so you don`t notice it as readily.

Yeah, ss is generally more sensitive/fragile than b/c. The b/c`s clearcoat gives better UV protection and you`re doing without that when you have ss.

Yeah, you can take off too much, just like with b/c where you can thin the clearcoat too much. The real answer is to not mar it so much in the first place so you don`t have to polish it as often. That means washing it *more* frequently, but also washing it gently so as to not mar it in the process (I know, easier said than done...get a foamgun and learn how to use it ;) ). I`d wax very frequently. I`d also try to keep it out of the sun if possible, though I parked our ss Volvo outside and it held up OK (because I kept it clean and well-waxed).

You probably won`t need as aggressive of products as you would with b/c. This is a perfect example of "start mild, get more aggressive *only* as needed".

Good starting point: Meg`s #80 to polish, one of their "pure polishes" (e.g., #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal #2) for a glaze, then a carnauba like #26 or (my choice) Collinite or Blitz.

jbizzle22
09-13-2006, 10:09 AM
sweet...thanks! I`ll do exactly that.