PDA

View Full Version : Poured Gasoline on Car.

BMW645
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Hello. I went to a Shell station to fill up with 93. There must have been something wrong with the pump, because as I was about to place the nozzle into the car like I normally do, about a half glass of gasoline poured out and onto the sides of my car.

I was rather upset, because I just waxed my car yesterday with FK1 2180 (Ultra Poly Wipe Sealant). I had the bottle in my trunk and a MF towel too, so I was able to reapply over the spilt area.

My question is, does gasoline strip wax/sealant?

Joshua312
09-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Did you clean the area at all before applying the 2180?

BMW645
09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Did you clean the area at all before applying the 2180?

Yeah, I waited about an hour for the gasoline to evaporate, I wiped the area with the MF towel, and with another area, applied 2180. I don`t think that`s good enough, so I`ll probably revisit the area later this week. I just wanted a "stop gap" solution at the time.

94BlkStang
09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I waited about an hour for the gasoline to evaporate, I wiped the area with the MF towel, and with another area, applied 2180. I don`t think that`s good enough, so I`ll probably revisit the area later this week. I just wanted a "stop gap" solution at the time.

You should be fine, especially if you had just waxed it. Gasoline can stain a vehicle if left on to long, but if attended to right away it shouldn`t be a problem. Worst case scenario, a little polish topped with your sealant and you`re good to go. In the future it would be best to wash immediately and not let it evaporate though.

Accumulator
09-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah, you should be fine. But as 94BlkStang said, letting it evaporate isn`t what you want to do should it happen again. You want to minimize the dwell-time so the gas doesn`t have so long to do its solvent-action thing on your finish, and letting it evaporate basically *maximizes* the dwell-time, the exact opposite of what you want. The longer the gas is on there the greater the chance it`ll do something to your sealant.

If you can`t rush home and wash it (that`s what I did last time it happened to me), then I`d flush the area with plenty of QD and wipe it very gently. At least the QD would dilute the gas and it won`t just be sitting on the finish eating away at your sealant.