PDA

View Full Version : Best dressing for ext plastics?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ret
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
I’m looking for some suggestions on what product I can use on hard black plastic external trim.

The pictures are of Z-16 after a light rain, however I haven’t had much better results using products like NXT Tech Protect, ArmorAll, or 303.

NXT-TP and others don’t wash out as bad as the Z-16 did, however every product I’ve tried has bled during rains and left oily streaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

RET

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1922P1010005-med.JPG

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1922P1010008-med.JPG

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1922P1010010-med.JPG

carnut00
09-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Try some Poorboys Trim Restorer. Never had any problem with runs when it rains. I usually wipe some on wait about 30 minutes and buff the excess. Lasts about a month.

RCBuddha
09-11-2006, 09:34 PM
link of interest: http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/09/10/the-final-trim-test-we-have-a-winner/

imported_Picus
09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
A couple notes re the wardell thing. First, I like forever black, but it`s a paint to apply (imo), a similar product, Leatherique Rubber Black is another dye and is easier to apply and lasts as long.

Oh, I wonder if he`s tried Z16 pro yet?

Oh, and on the trim restore, sometimes it will leave the trim more white; re-application seems to re-hydrate, and the whiteness stops and the shine lasts awhile.

Sherman8r44
09-11-2006, 09:49 PM
That`s a very cool test, thanks for the link Craig.

Personally I love CG Liquid Extreme Shine.

Rafa
09-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I would try Klasse AIO with a PC or rotary. I was amazed what it did to the trim on my wife`s CRV. I don`thave to use a dressing anymore.

ret
09-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys....ordered some Trim Restore from autogeek...will give it a try.

Didn`t want to go the forever black route...it`s 2006 so the trim is in good shape.

The NXT-TP makes it look great, but I can`t handle the run-off when it rains.

I`ll update with results.

Thanks Again!

RET

Horseman2475
09-12-2006, 02:11 AM
FMJ! No more investing in trim dressing.

ret
09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
FMJ! No more investing in trim dressing.

Can you post some pic and process of using FMJ on trim?

Thanks

RET

stilez
09-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Let`s stir the pot a little more :D.

The *only* trim I`ve ever had a streaking problem with is Ford. Every Ford I do, I usually just use a spray wax on as I usually get a little note from customers saying "Hey, the car looks amazing, but my mirrors are streaking a bit". I`ve used PB TR, Meguiar`s Trim Detailer, Zaino Z16, Armor All, 303.

I have found, however, that something like Klasse AIO *or* Clearkote RMG has worked wonders. It`s not that shiny, but it cleans, darkens, and adds a sheen, plus notable protection.

Ultimatley, I think the best stuff out there is:

http://www.topoftheline.com/trimmolreski.html

I used it on my girlfriend`s Saab about 15-17 months ago and it`s still sticking around. It takes time to get right and you have to tape everything off, but for a personal vehicle, I think it`s great stuff.

Mach30SiR
09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
I was about to say CK RMG

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2006, 09:55 AM
If that`s hard plastic, it`s in good condition, and you`re using Zaino, why don`t you just use whatever Z product you`re using on the paint (Z2/Z5)? I have had good success on hard plastic in good condition with SG...and I believe Zaino as well :think:

abbeysdad
09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I would try Klasse AIO with a PC or rotary. I was amazed what it did to the trim on my wife`s CRV. I don`thave to use a dressing anymore.

Anybody know if AIO/SG works as well on textured black plastic trim as well?

ret
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
If that`s hard plastic, it`s in good condition, and you`re using Zaino, why don`t you just use whatever Z product you`re using on the paint (Z2/Z5)? I have had good success on hard plastic in good condition with SG...and I believe Zaino as well :think:

Z-6, Z-8 and Z-2 didn`t give me the look I like on trim, Z-16 did, however it won`t stick.

RET

Accumulator
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Anybody know if AIO/SG works as well on textured black plastic trim as well?

These outside-the-box applications can be tricky, so IMO the best answer is "maybe, it all depends". Having posted that disclaimer ;) the answer in *my* case is "almost always".

I`ve used the Klasse twins on the textured trim of numerous vehicles, most notably a WRX and the MPV. I worked ("works", in the case of the MPV) great. This is one application where I do use the W-O-W-O technique, it seems to give a more uniform appearance.

I`ve used BF and UPP on sorta-similar surfaces on the Audis. It works until they get too worn.

I just used 1Z polishes topped with 845 on these surfaces on the new beater, a `00 Blazer, worked great.

I use both the Klasse approach and Souveran on various similar surfaces on the XJS (Souveran works great on its *rubber* trim as did the Malm`s wax I used before that).

On the Volvo (240 wagon) I used both Z16 (never ran like in those pics, but I buffed, buffed, and buffed again) and Collinite 476S. I liked the 476S approach better, but it`d start to look pretty bad after a few months if I didn`t refresh it. The Z16 looked crappy much sooner, but it was a different type of "bad look" that wasn`t quite so awful...sorry, it`s hard to describe. Anyhow, I ended up sticking with the 476S approach. This was on exterior plastic *and* the rubber bumper covers.

Note that *some* polishes, on *some* plastic surfaces work OK..the 1Z on the Blazer for instance (don`t try that with 3M PI-III stuff!). Pinnacle`s PCL has also worked OK for this sort of pre-LSP prep but that was the older, more citrusy, version. AIO is a safe thing to try but I don`t consider Autoglym SRP a good choice for this.

When I can`t use the LSP-type approach, I generally use Autoglym`s Bumper Care. It`s a thick gel with some mild abrasives that help clean off wax residue and other stuff (including oxidized material). It doesn`t run in the rain for me and I`d notice it due to the particular pieces I use it on. But again, you gotta rub rub rub off any excess. Doesn`t last as long as the LSPs but it`s good for at least a few washes.