PDA

View Full Version : New Car... product help! `07 Honda Si Coupe

Sveta
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Been, ah, overseas....and It`s great to be back. Hello again to all, especially to those who helped me become a better detailer by sharing their time, experience and friendship. It`s good to be home and I`m celebrating with a new car.

Said "happy trails" after 17 years to my trusty black `90 Toyota 4X4 after 207,000 miles. Never died on the road or the outback, never ever failed to get me home. Sniff, sniff....Amen.

The GOOD PART.... just ordered a 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe. HABANERO RED. If you haven`t seen this color in person the best I can do is say it`s kind of a medium dark metallic red with metallic flake producing super nice bright copperish overtones in the areas POPPED by direct sunlight. Cannot find any threads on this color/car.

I told the dealer DO NOT WASH when it comes in. (They use a pressure washer but I bet the drying process would be a first degree felony)...

Should I pull the shipping film off myself or let them do that? Will later have 3M clear film installed on the front and side mirrors. (Other areas for film?)

I should only wash and clay before they install the film. Right? What`s the recommendation on when to seal/wax new Honda paint? I`m thinking right after the film...which I have learned stays stain resistant after using EXP one time and maintained after with good carnauba every few washes. DID stain when I only used wax.

WHICH finally brings me to the question. WHAT product recommendations does the community have for this car and color??? :usa

slick61
09-10-2006, 01:36 AM
provided the paint is defect free in the areas where the clear bra is being applied, that may suffice. Otherwise, I`d at least polish the areas to perfection before the clear bra goes on. Interesting question tho...

gopedhead
09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
i have the exact car. it`s an 06, ilvoe it. i have small scratches (swirl types) but not swirls here and there but am investing in a pc very soon to fix that. the paint kinda hides them, either that, or i really dotn have as bad of scratches as i think i do. it doesnt` really matter if they wash ur car or not. one time really wont do a thing to ur paint. if you can though, take the car w/ the film still on the car. get a clay kit and clay the car when u get home. i dont know what sealants to use but i didnt` wax mine for about 4 months.

ps. i`m also part of 8thcivic.com . if you aren`t. you might want to check into it.

Deanski
09-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Congrats!

You can remove the film yourself. Wash/Clay then inspect for any paint defects. Use a light "Cleanser" to polish with.

If you`re getting paint protection film (smart choice) do the front bumper, hood, fender wings, headlights, side mirrors, and door cups. If needed, lower rocker panels and wheel arches.

Before you do the film, make sure finish is as perfect and clean as possible. No wax/sealalant prior to film. After films on, you can maintain it with Plexus. DO not use a wax over films as they will yellow the film (carnuba). When waxing/sealing other areas next to the film, be careful not to get it in the seams. Cover the seams if possible.

I have Armorglove film on my new Porsche C2S. Worth every penny!!

Sealant: ZAINO...... Wax: Souveran or P21S. That`s what I`d use.

Enjoy the new car!!

Deanski

gopedhead
09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
should he wait for teh outgassing period?

darksparkz
09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Well if it is a completely new car from the factory, then you may want to wait 30 days or so before applying wax or other sealants. Some argue that new paint needs 30 days to cure in and harden before a wax seals the pores preventing it from drying properly. But then some other argue that paint from the factory is "baked" on, so it doesn`t require drying time.

But yeah, make sure the surface is completely clean before applying the film, you can want to use a 50/50 alcohol mix to remove surface or any setiments.

Afterwords, wash, clay, and wax the surface.

Sveta
09-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Congrats!

...Before you do the film, make sure finish is as perfect and clean as possible. No wax/sealalant prior to film. After films on, you can maintain it with Plexus. DO not use a wax over films as they will yellow the film (carnuba). When waxing/sealing other areas next to the film, be careful not to get it in the seams. Cover the seams if possible.

I have Armorglove film on my new Porsche C2S. Worth every penny!!...

Deanski

Thanks to you and others for replys. I think my film on our "04 Accord is 3M. I have used S100, Natties and #16 as well as VM and Optim-Sealant spray. Nothing has yellowed it yet and it`s on a white car. The only yellow is the occasional insect we have around here. 1 in 500 bug "hits" seems to be this little stainer. It is a Bi-ch to get out. (Bartenders helper on a Q-tip worked best.) Unreal. Yes, I`m going to film it good. I`ll also tell them to leave the shipping film on. I guess any paint curing issues are not affected by the 3M film?

firegate
09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Have them remove the film while you`re there. That way if there are any factory defects in the paint, they won`t be able to claim you put them there.

SpoiledMan
09-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Well if it is a completely new car from the factory, then you may want to wait 30 days or so before applying wax or other sealants. Some argue that new paint needs 30 days to cure in and harden before a wax seals the pores preventing it from drying properly. But then some other argue that paint from the factory is "baked" on, so it doesn`t require drying time.

No need to wait for factory paint to cure at all. It`s baked and ready to serve.:D

mblgjr
09-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Have them remove the film while you`re there. That way if there are any factory defects in the paint, they won`t be able to claim you put them there.

I agree, you need to remove all shipping protection and inspect the car before you sign and drive.

Otherwise, Pinnacle Signature would look outstanding and make the metallic pop, as would Zaino or Poorboy`s Natty`s Blue or EXP. EXP covered with Natty`s is one of my favorite combos for metallic cars. Gives it POP and WETNESS.

I would clay the car and use a paint cleanser prior to any waxing to ensure that the rail/shipping contaiminants are gone.

Good luck and have fun with the new car.

Deanski
09-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Thanks to you and others for replys. I think my film on our "04 Accord is 3M. I have used S100, Natties and #16 as well as VM and Optim-Sealant spray. Nothing has yellowed it yet and it`s on a white car. The only yellow is the occasional insect we have around here. 1 in 500 bug "hits" seems to be this little stainer. It is a Bi-ch to get out. (Bartenders helper on a Q-tip worked best.) Unreal. Yes, I`m going to film it good. I`ll also tell them to leave the shipping film on. I guess any paint curing issues are not affected by the 3M film?

3M films were the most notorious on yellowing and orange peel look to them. Wait till you remove it. You`ll see how much it yellowed.

Newer films are much more clear and w/o orange peel. Only problem is they get tacky when warm. If you use a MF towel on it when warm, the MF fibers are left on the film. Once cool, no problem.

As for your new car, it`s ready to be clayed, cleaned, waxed, and filmed. No need to wait! Just do a complete walk around. Several cars that get shipped via boat get some light damage. Most is repaired/touched-up at the port by contracted vendors. It happens even to high-end cars!

Once you do get it, film it ASAP to lessen any chance of rock damage. I learned the hard way with my `03 Lexus SC430. After P/U from dealer, drove it home and found a nice chip in the nose. Had it fixed and as soon as the paint cured while at the shop, Armorglove filmed the car. Speaking of film, don`t forget to do the door cups! Fingernails do dig into paint! I also did the lower rocker panels as well.

The Porsche has the new film and was done at dealership detail area. I had Armorglove show up at the site to install it. Dealer works with them all the time, so it`s no big deal. This way, it was done before I took delivery.

Enjoy your new toy!!! :2thumbs:

Deanski

Sveta
09-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Deanski,

Thanks for the heads up. I`ll see if the installer has options/opinions on 3M etc. and go from there. Door cups...I would never have thought of that. The wife`s rings or the keys in her hand sometimes gets her car come to think of it...."Stop that, Honey!" :secret

-----------------------------------

mblgjr,

Yes, you may be right on inspect. What about asking them to remove and JUST POWER WASH...but don`t dry....let it water spot.??? I`ve got to drive down a highway 50 miles to home. I might take some detail supplies, Spray and Wipe, etc. Maybe even a QEW kit and wash it there. HA, HA! Then pull I`LL pull it off on their lot. I don`t know.

-------------------

I like the ol` EXP and Natties/#16 myself. This is one of those once in a great while true love colors for me. I cannot remember when a color was the deciding factor on the trim level of a purchase. The Civic EX was plenty of car for me....but that Habanero Red is Si only. Might start a thread.....