PDA

View Full Version : Any Training in Washington/ New business need help

HMAD
09-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Ket and I recently opened a small auto detail shop in Sequim, Washington. I jumped into the business with little training and knowledge and quickly regretted it. I have come to realise that i should of taken some sort of schooling or a job in a detail shop before i invested a small fortune. While most of my customers have been really happy with their services , I feel i can never make a decent living because I spend way too much time and effort getting there. It takes anywhere from 6-10 hours for me to do some vehicles .

So getting to the point I was wondering if there is any type of auto detailing training in washington, or if there were any professional detailers in the washington area that would take me under there wing for awhile for a small fee. Any free help would also be greatly appreciated. Ive checked out a couple of schools light Rightlook and detail plus, but they want upwards of 2000 dollars for training and there located in california and oregon.

So if you have read thus far i appreciate you spending the time and will appreciate any advice i can get.

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-10-2006, 09:44 AM
It sounds like you may have your priorities a bit backwards. Hey, you are not alone. There are plenty of detailers out there who think they have what it takes to succeed in business. Usually, these detailers fail within the first couple of years. However, some actually begin to realize, before it`s too late, that they need help in order to improve their business skills and become a true entrepreneur.

The lack of proper business education is the biggest reason why detailing businesses fail. It is usually because the owner is too busy taking care of the technical side of the business. Just because someone is a good detailer, that does not automatically make them a good business owner.

When it comes to owning and operating a successful and profitable professional detailing business, most detailers need to concentrate on business principles even more than they concentrate on detailing principles. You can figure that 80% of your educational effort should be focused on learning more about what it takes to own and operate a successful and profitable business. The other 20% of your time should be learning more about the actual process of detailing.

Plan to take some small business courses in your area and get in touch with the fine people at your local Small Business Administration office in Seattle. They will help you get the training you will need to make your business a success.

http://www.sba.gov/wa/seattle/index.html

HMAD
09-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice mirrorfinishman, ive looked into some of the sba programs and think I need some more industry specific information, but im sure it will still help me. Like you said I started spending too much time on the detailing part and less and less time on the business aspect. Although I think some technical training would help alot with confidence and knowledge,(especially the dreaded black vehicles). I also want to know if anyone here has gone through the 4 day Rightlook training program and think its worth the money.

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-10-2006, 05:55 PM
The technical training would be a definite plus. That would be especially helpful with regard to the time you take to complete your detailing jobs.

Jordan@DD
09-11-2006, 02:14 AM
I know there are few technical colleges around that teach auto detailing, but none that I know of around you.

I found myself in a similar position when I started a few years ago. I thought working for a detailer would be sufficient training but there is much more to learn.

I.A.S.
09-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the advice mirrorfinishman, ive looked into some of the sba programs and think I need some more industry specific information, but im sure it will still help me. Like you said I started spending too much time on the detailing part and less and less time on the business aspect. Although I think some technical training would help alot with confidence and knowledge,(especially the dreaded black vehicles). I also want to know if anyone here has gone through the 4 day Rightlook training program and think its worth the money.

i took the 4 day course out there in SD and it is well worth the $2k IMO.....i had been a detailer before at 2 different dealeships and on the side on my own for awhile but when i decided to go out on my own a few months back i wanted to learn more of the "professional" side of it....

they go through alot of technical stuff but it is more geared towards time/money.....the teachers there (wont say there names) have years of experience in there own businesses but now work for Rightlook...they teach you things that would take you years to learn in the industry on your own..i thought i knew just about all there was to know about detailing/refinishing......NO!....

on thing that is nice about the guys there at Rightlook also is you can give them a call anytime you want/need if you have any questions regarding anything you are doing...

so again that $2k is well worth it cuz you will learn stuff from them that will more than make up for that $2k you spent to go out there..

HMAD
09-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah ive talked to one of the guys from Rightlook and the class seemed like it would be be exactly what i need. I was wondering though, do you also use and buy there chemicals ?

Jordan, how did you get yourself out of the position you were in? Was it hard for you to get through the winter months your first year? And all the rain!!

I.A.S.
09-11-2006, 11:07 PM
you dont hafta buy there chemicals if u dont want to.....but!....for the average every day normal detail, there products work great IMO....no brainer stuff very easy to use and set up, i prolly wouldnt suggest some of there stuff though for really high end details where you really want a show quality finish....plus you will get to know other products along the way that may work better...

but i think for you and any beginner i would defenitely suggest using them

Jordan@DD
09-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Winter is pretty rough. You should be better off in Sequim than where I am. The thing about rain is 90% of the time you can work around it (if you really want to). If you dont already have one, get an Eazy-Up tent.

I worked at BMW of Bellevue as a porter/detailer. No other place would hire me : )

Honestly as long as you practice good consistent business operations, your customers will be back. I look back at some of the details I did early on and cannot believe the customer satisfaction I received. I really think the follow up call is important too.

Best of luck,

Jordan

imported_Grouse
09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
This is kind of a wierd idea, but why not start a localized detailing group. Throw a bbq on a weekend. bring over a project car and have each of us teach a different section. As a unified group we will fair better against these local hack detailers we each deal with.

If anyone is interested, hit me up with a PM i`ll send you my contact info. A regional association may help us all out.

HMAD
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I would love to see how detailing operations work in the city. I wonder if you guys get as many trucks as I do. Up in my area 80% of my business comes from big arse trucks that are filthy. Alot of them are from construction workers and contractors so there just loaded up with dirt and sawdust. Cant wait till I start getting more cars!!!

imported_Grouse
09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the PM, I`ll see if i can get ahold of jordan@DD and see if we 3 can`t get together and talk out some preliminaries.

Spali32
09-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Hey there Ket,

I`m originally from Sequim too. Here in Tacoma now. I have a Auto Detailing Business I started back in 01. Been doing it on the side for now. Are you renting a shop?? What are your prices for cars or trucks?? Sounds like you need to send out some fliers in the mail to local car owners. Those big semi trucks are a big chore. I`d look to doing the cars and trucks......they are more enjoyable to work on.

00Contour
09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey count me in too. Id always love to learn more.

HMAD
09-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi there Spali, good to hear from people from the area. I do rent a shop and thats whats killing me. Things are getting better though because I just subleased half of the building out to a tint shop. Im actually not doing any semis just allot of FUll size trucksand a couple of ambulances a month.I charge between 200- 250 for a full detail. Which after seeing your web page seems kind of high but well worth it. Great job on the web page , allot of black vehicles that looked like they turned out real good. Id like to see your technique on buffing them.