PDA

View Full Version : what to do with wheels?

Nebraskaz71
09-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey I`ve got polished wheels on my show truck they are non clear coated. I had some water spots and some sort of film on them which normally polishes off easy enough. Lately it wont come off so I bought some different polish its called 200mph polish. Anyways it works really good for taking the spots off but nothign is lifting the film and it seems like no matter what I do i`m getting tiny scratches on the wheel when I polish them. I`ve tried it by hand and with a mothers power ball yet they still scratch. The polish says it wont scratch and that its a jewlers rouge or something. Ive tried a couple polishes now and everything seems to just streak and scratch. Would AIO or something help me? I have a big show next weekend and i`m gettin frustrated. thanks

Rocket
09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I have TT2s on my TA and I had a film on my wheels. No matter how much I polished I could never get them looking as good as I would have liked. I also had some staining on a couple of wheels from some liquid but I never could figure how to get it off. I used 3 or 4 different polishes and I finally got brave enough to wet sand the wheels lightly with some 1000, 1500, 2000 girt sand paper. I followed by polishing the wheels with Mother`s Billet Polish. I did the polishing by hand using a MF applicator and a good quality MF towel. Not only did it get the film off but it also made the wheels shine like never before. They have been easier to keep looking great also. They still look as good as the day I did them. I polish them about once a month or maybe once every two months to maintain the look

I found that the scratches on my wheels came from what I was using to apply and remove the polish. I used cheaper towels and they always caused some marring.

Nebraskaz71
09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I`m fearful of doing that lol It could be my rags I`ve tried switching those to but no luck.

Wasatch
09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
I use a QD on my wheels, about once or twice a month I put some Werkstatt AJ on them, this keeps the dust pretty minimum.

Rocket
09-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I`m fearful of doing that lol It could be my rags I`ve tried switching those to but no luck.

I was using some cheap MF towels for a long time and they left scratches behind. I started using some Pakshak towels and it`s helped a lot. Once the towel gets black I soak it in some MicroRestor in a bucket and then wash them. They come out looking really good. I`ve been using the same three towels for a long time.

I was a little afraid at 1st too so I practiced on a center cap I had sitting here. It had some bad pitting when I bought it used and I never put it on the car. Try on a spot where it can`t really be seen or on something else. If you don`t trust yourself try buying a polishing wheel and use a drill to polish them up. I was suprised how well it worked. They sell a Craftsman set at Sears that comes with some compounds. I`ve never used the compounds but the buffing wheels worked out well.