PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Touch Up Paint

scrapser
09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I have a Blue 350Z and bought some touch up paint from the dealer. It came in a little vial with a brush. You must shake well before use but even so, it has a very thick viscosity. Reading some of the suggestions on how to repair rock chips, it looks like the paint needs to be thinned out a bit for the paint to flow off a toothpick into the chip hole. Has anyone tried this or is it unnecessary?

I ordered the Touchup 123 kit after trying the Langka kit and found it unsatisfactory to my standards. I`m looking forward to trying this new product. There`s also a great "how to" on Autopia that I`d like to try which is why I`m asking about the paint`s viscosity issue.

Thanks

scrapser

qadsan
09-09-2006, 05:10 PM
If you bought duplicolor touch up paint from Autozone or something like this, then they`ll also sell a compatible thinner / reducer for your paint. Make sure its thin enough so that it can easily wick into the surface. It`s better to apply several thinner applications than a thicker blob. Take your time and use common sense and you`ll be rewarded with a nice repair.

scrapser
09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
If you bought duplicolor touch up paint from Autozone or something like this, then they`ll also sell a compatible thinner / reducer for your paint. Make sure its thin enough so that it can easily wick into the surface. It`s better to apply several thinner applications than a thicker blob. Take your time and use common sense and you`ll be rewarded with a nice repair.

I bought the paint from the Nissan dealer.

scrapser

qadsan
09-09-2006, 05:46 PM
The Nissan dealer should have a reducer available for you. If they don`t, then perhaps they can recommend a near by PBE (Paint, Body & Equipment) store that will carry a reducer for your paint.

slick61
09-10-2006, 01:48 AM
tricky situation... how about using the end of a paper match... dip it in some lacquer thinner first, then in the paint... or put a few drops of paint into a tiny vessel, then thin to desired consistency... but that`s me... don`t know if I`d want to thin the whole bottle of touchup. Guess you can always buy another if you need a thicker consistency...

imported_steveo3002
09-10-2006, 03:22 AM
any cellulose thinner sould work...add it a drip at a time and keep rechecking to see how its going