PDA

View Full Version : Using all my new supplies this w/e - Newbie questions?

sws1
09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I just bought a bunch of new stuff and play to work on my Pearly White Nissan Pathfinder this weekend which hasn`t been waxed / detailed in ... well, never. Surprisingly, though, the color keeps swirls from showing. They`re there, but very hard to see. It clearly needs to be clayed.

Couple quick questions...

Dawn or Car soap for first wash? Probably no way to strip off on this car.

Do I need to dry if I`m going to clay? Can I just clay a wet, but clean, car (using clay lube as well)?

Should I wash after claying, or will the polish get rid of that stuff? (I`m still debating on whether I should go right to JW Prime, or start with P21S Paintwork Cleanser then JW Prime.)

sws1
09-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Oh - and 1 other question.

Will JW Prime actually work over P21S Paintwork cleanser? From what I read, P21S has some oils in it. Won`t Prime (basically AIO) remove all the benefits of P21S?

jdhutchin
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
The use of dawn is kinda controversial here, I would say don`t bother with it and just use normal car soap. For me, the easiest way to clay is after you wash and before you dry. Wash the car, leave the soapy water on the car to act as lube, clay it, and then go over the panel one more time with the mitt. Then you can rinse and dry.

I would skip the P21S paintwork cleanser- it`s very mild. Prime will do the same thing it will- no need for two steps to do the same thing.

budman3
09-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Even though the swirls aren`t showing up do you still want to get rid of them? Of the products you mentioned, none of them will do this. The P21S and Prime are paint cleaners and will do nothing to the swirls... No need to dawn, the clay and paint cleaners will be good enough.

Setec Astronomy
09-08-2006, 10:03 AM
My $.02: Skip the Dawn, after you wash and RINSE the car, reapply fresh, clean car wash solution to use as clay lube. You shouldn`t need to rewash unless you have bits of clay stuck on the finish. The Prime and the P21S Paintwork Cleanser are kind of redundant, intended to do the same job, as has been suggested, stick with the Prime. What are you going to use after that?

sws1
09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
After Prime, I`m using JW Acryllic Jet, then maybe Acryllic Glos as a final buff. For my other dark blue car (911), I plan on going from Prime to P21S wax.

sws1
09-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Even though the swirls aren`t showing up do you still want to get rid of them?

I don`t really have any polish with me just yet, so I`ll probably keep the swirls for now. They are invisible in 99% of the views of the car. Plus, they may even get filled in a bit when I use some of these products. Next time I detail, I`ll go for the polish.