PDA

View Full Version : How to polish a corrugated roof? (caravan, jeep)

Neo62381
09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Is there a way to use the PC on this? I imagine you could, however, it would miss the sections that are lower than the rest. Is this something that is required to be polished by hand? If so, is there anytihng I can do to speed up the process? I have a Caravan coming up, and this will the the first vehicle that I have detailed with a corrugated roof. Just wandering which approach I should take. TIA! :woot2:

autoprincess
09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Most customers don`t care if those areas are buffed or not, I would ask the customer if they really care. If not, then just clay and/or wax those areas. If so, then you can hold the buffer at more of an angle to get in there, then you will have to polish the rest by hand. Just becareful of the edges of the resessed area, because you do not want to burn those areas when you are buffing. In either case I would still but a coat of wax around those areas.

Dan
09-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I just did my van... what a PITA. I just used a smaller orbital detail buffer, it seemed to do a good job in the lower sections. IMO you can`t do a good job unless you get all the oxidation off, and trust me, on any van there is going to be some as the tops of these things get NO LOVE!

3Dog
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
1 You might try a 2 7/8" backing plate with a 4" pad on your PC

2 Polishin Pal by hand

3 Griots 3" finger pads

AL-53
09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree with 3Dog..but option #1 is the best one..you can do some serious polishing with a 4" pad...it it will fit the valleys in the roof....for a backing plate and pads..go to exceldetails..his plate is best one I have seen...next to a 3M one at twice the cost...and his pads are great...

get a pair of each color..you will not regret it....you can do heavy corrections better with a 4" than a 6-7 inch...plus 4" for any LSP application uses less product...less area to cover on the pad....

hope this helps

Al