PDA

View Full Version : Machine Washing Pads

RAG
09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I`ve been washing my pads in the washing machine more and more (basically because I was lazy)...I used to pressure rinse them out with a hose and would use dawn and APC to for my cleaner. But I`ve found the washing machine (front loader) is doing a much better job than when I do it by hand - when I use pads after I`ve hand washed them, there always seems to be residual dust within the pad, but when I use machine washed pads...no dust. And I`ve washed some of my P2s 40 or 50 times now with now visible wear.

gmblack3
09-07-2006, 09:09 AM
By hand it seems like the EC/OP mix is more of a PITA then most to get clean when washing by hand. I guess I am more worried about leaving polish residue in the washing machine.

RAG
09-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Anybody else notice the reduced dust/product build up within the pad when machine washing?

Driven-528e
09-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, the washing machine has worked well for me too. I normally rinse them out with the hose first, then stick them in there with my microfiber polish towels, since they all have the same residue on them anyways. I then normally follow up with a second load of my grunge microfibers (the cheapo ones I use for interiors) for two reasons; to get them clean and to clear out any polish residue in the washing machine. After the second load, I usually end up wiping the washing machine down with a damp towel, sometimes using an APC if there is visible residue. Oh yeah, no major wear and tear on the pads from washing them this way and no dusting when being used.

RAG
09-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Yes, the washing machine has worked well for me too. I normally rinse them out with the hose first, then stick them in there with my microfiber polish towels, since they all have the same residue on them anyways. I then normally follow up with a second load of my grunge microfibers (the cheapo ones I use for interiors) for two reasons; to get them clean and to clear out any polish residue in the washing machine. After the second load, I usually end up wiping the washing machine down with a damp towel, sometimes using an APC if there is visible residue. Oh yeah, no major wear and tear on the pads from washing them this way and no dusting when being used.

Exactly what I do, though I`ve never seen any residue inside the washing machine.

BMWWW
09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
In my experience, washing the pads in the machine doesn`t leave behind any residue. I`ve only had some remaining dirt/film when washing the MF`s that I used for grimy door jams.

If you`re worried, just throw in an extra rinse cycle.

petrong1186
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
when you guys say "pads" do you mean the foam ones or pads of a different material?

justin30513
09-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I wash my EDGE pads after letting them soak in a Dawn/water mix. I use 4 teaspoons for 2 gallons. Let sit for an hour. I don`t even rinse them out. I throw them in the washer and use the gentle cycle set on warm wash/ cold rinse. I`ve done this 30+ times with all types of my EDGE pads and have had no problems at ALL.

Bioman
02-27-2007, 02:03 AM
I just washed my LC white pad in the washing machine for the first time and they freakin fell apart. Half the Velcro backing separated from the pad and the other half is about to. I tried using it with a PC, just to see if it was still usable, but the foam seemed to have gotten weaker because the backing plate was cutting into the pad with ease now. Used hot/cold cycle with Charlies Soap.

They also turned orange because of the damn Vroom washing mitt, but thats for another thread. Arg...

BlackElantraGT
02-27-2007, 05:58 AM
I just washed my LC white pad in the washing machine for the first time and they freakin fell apart. Half the Velcro backing separated from the pad and the other half is about to. I tried using it with a PC, just to see if it was still usable, but the foam seemed to have gotten weaker because the backing plate was cutting into the pad with ease now. Used hot/cold cycle with Charlies Soap.

They also turned orange because of the damn Vroom washing mitt, but thats for another thread. Arg...

Don`t use the hot setting. I made the same mistake and had the same problem happen to one of my pad. Some people`s (probably most people`s?) hot water setting is hot enough to melt the glue holding the velcro to the pad. To fix it, you`ll have to use something like Goo-Gone to remove all the adhesive from the velcro backing, and then find a suitable adhesive to glue it back to the pad.

That`s why I no longer wash the pads with the mf towels, since I wash those on hot. I only wash the pads on warm on the regular setting. I`ve never had a problem since. The pads always comes out looking almost new that hand washing could never do. No residue whatsoever left in the machine that affects regular laundry. There`s more residue left over when you wash bath rugs, etc so I wouldn`t worry about that.

Also, when they come out they`re much quicker to dry compared to hand washing. To get the pad as dry after hand washing, I would have to put it back on the PC and spin it, which gets water everywhere so you have to be careful where your pointing your PC.

imported_mburnickas
02-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I wash my LC pads and MF towels all in my whirpool frontloader (9400). Pads are fine, leaves nothing inside and get washed warm/warm and spin at 1200 rpms.

I must note L pre-soak LC pads in soap (MO) for about 2 hours, then toss in washer.

BlackElantraGT
02-27-2007, 06:20 AM
I don`t even pre-soak any more, just throw it in the washer and use regular Costco`s Kirkland brand liquid detergent.

The pad I had the toughest time cleaning out was the finishing pad I used to apply NXT. After numerous hand washes there were always stains on it (the pad is beige so it`s easy to see). After one wash in the washing machine, it looked like new again.

3Dog
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
A lot of that will depend on your washer..type of agitator. I will suggest if you do use you washer (which we do for foam applicators) that you place them in a net bag.

DM101
02-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I have had bad luck with CMA pads velcro coming off. Maybe it`s just me. But I wash gently in the sink with dawn.

Thomas Dekany
02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Anybody else notice the reduced dust/product build up within the pad when machine washing?

I do - the only pads that I baby are the ones from cma.